Anyone using a replicated NFS storage system?

gbr

May 13, 2012
Hi,

I currently have a replicate DRBD/iSCSI solution running on Ubuntu 13.10. I get great speeds from it, and good fsyncs/sec. What I don't have is snapshot ability, which I really miss from my XenServer days.

Using the same hardware and OS, I moved to a DRBD/NFS replicated solution. My speeds dropped dramatically (from 118 MB/s to 35 MB/s), and my fsyncs dropped a bit. The NFS was exported async, and I even tried NFSv4.

So, my question is, does anyone have a replicated NFS solution that works well? What about another replicated solution that offers snapshots, and requires only two servers (NAS/SAN) to implement?

Gerald

ps: I looked at Nas4Free with HAST and NFS, but their NFS does not do async, so speeds are abysmal.

..what about using a ZFS based NAS/Filer with iSCSI?
Use ZFS-Volumes on the NAS and export these as targets via iSCSI.
ZFS will give you the ability to snapshot the targets this way.

ZFS may be a solution, although I have a manager that would never grasp the concept of non-gui based snapshots.

How does ZFS run on top of DRBD? I did both XFS and EXT4 exported via NFS on top of DRBD, and the speeds dropped dramatically (118 MB/s iSCSI to 35 MB/s async NFS)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!