Details about the new pve-no-subscripton repository

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been silently following the discussions about the policy change and have to agree that the announcement could have been handled better, but thats basically the only complaint I got. While I personally dont like additional Popups you have to close before getting to any usable UI, I can accept this rather drastic measure as a means to try to ensure the longevity of this software project.

I do have one question tho and a ... proposal?

Question: there will still be the pve-test repository in its current form, correct?

Because in that case, I would think these new/rebranded 3 repositories can actually be pretty accurately described by comparison - and this comparison would be Debian.

pve-test corresponds to Debians unstable branch (bleeding edge branch of debian)
pve-no-subscription corresponds to Debians testing branch (this is what can be considered a very stable and production ready branch)
pve-enterprise corresponds to Debians stable branch (this is a special branch that features outdated but heavily tested versions, intended for installations where a 100% stable system is absolutely paramount - like super critical infrastructure).

Does that seem fitting? Because I feel like this could explain the new repositories reasonably well to people that know Debian at least.

A couple of days ago I was using the pve repo that is now known as the non enterprise repo.
Oh the horror! I was not running the stable enterprise repo for the last few years. This whole time I have been using unstable software and my systems might have crashed!
I am so glad they created this new enterprise repo. Without it I would be stuck using the same unstable repo that we were all forced to use for the last few years.
Can you believe that? All these years and proxmox never had a stable repo!
Anyone who does not switch to the enterprise repo is going to risk having the seven plagues spew from their Ethernet ports. Using the same repo tomorrow that you used last week is the most unacceptable option ever!

/sarcasm

Did you ever stop to think that the wording of things might be designed to encourage people to purchase a subscription?
Or that such wording might help satisfy the pointy haired boss to justify approval for purchasing a subscription?

No one was concerned about using the non-enterprise repo last week, I see no reason anyone should be concerned to use it next week.

But if someone wants, as they say in MIB, the best of the best of the best then they should purchase a subscription like I did.

But if the best is good enough and you can't/won't pay for a subscription then use the non-enterprise repo like we have all been doing for the last few years.

"...it should be" as in, I messed up my assumption. Or "...it should be" as in you wish Proxmox Team would change their support pricing model?
I'm not antagonizing, just trying to understand. I've been telling people it's what I posted above. But if what you are saying is the way it should be, then the pricing model for the same setup would be 2 sockets each node; in a 3-node cluster is 6 CPU. Which, at standard pricing, is $199.02/month or 2388.24/year.

Yes, that calculation is correct.

A couple of days ago I was using the pve repo that is now known as the non enterprise repo.
Oh the horror! I was not running the stable enterprise repo for the last few years. This whole time I have been using unstable software and my systems might have crashed!
I am so glad they created this new enterprise repo. Without it I would be stuck using the same unstable repo that we were all forced to use for the last few years.
Can you believe that? All these years and proxmox never had a stable repo!
Anyone who does not switch to the enterprise repo is going to risk having the seven plagues spew from their Ethernet ports. Using the same repo tomorrow that you used last week is the most unacceptable option ever!

/sarcasm

Did you ever stop to think that the wording of things might be designed to encourage people to purchase a subscription?
Or that such wording might help satisfy the pointy haired boss to justify approval for purchasing a subscription?

No one was concerned about using the non-enterprise repo last week, I see no reason anyone should be concerned to use it next week.

But if someone wants, as they say in MIB, the best of the best of the best then they should purchase a subscription like I did.

But if the best is good enough and you can't/won't pay for a subscription then use the non-enterprise repo like we have all been doing for the last few years.
Hi,
but this is only 100% right if there was also an pve-no-subscription-test instead of the old pve-test.

And if I understand right the pve-test is gone and therefore it's more that pve-no-subscription is the old pve-test, or I am wrong?

Udo

I would prefer to pay a flat yearly fee (50 to 100 USD per year) that gives me value-added support including full access to the forums, much better documentation, up-to-date video tutorials of new features, and some extra handholding when issues arise...
Hi,
the wiki is open for each user - so why there are not a better documentation, or up-to-date video tutorials? Where is the big community (also you) if you miss there something?

Udo (and I wrote an wiki-post allready ;-) - ok, perhaps not very up-to-date )

And if I understand right the pve-test is gone and therefore it's more that pve-no-subscription is the old pve-test, or I am wrong?

The pvetest repository was my personal playground. I create/delete that on demand, but it is no official repository (and was never intended to be one).

We finally understand that you would never give use anything. The good thing is that you are free to do that, so there is no real problem for me.

I didn't like your attitude. I can imagine that you've worked on the project for the last 5 years and had to help a lot of people who didn't pay a single dime, I've seen a bunch of threads on the forum. However, I don't agree with how you added the nag screen and I certainly didn't like the way you've replied at all. I haven't been around for the last 5 years to be one of those persons with tens or hundreds of servers who doesn't pay you and who doesn't donate.

Either way, I'm done with Proxmox VE and with this community. I wish you good luck.

Sorry I confused you with the other nopenopenope user who said this:

That explains everything

I think you have a problem and you're not even worth replying to any more. Perhaps you can get professional help.

I didn't like your attitude. I can imagine that you've worked on the project for the last 5 years and had to help a lot of people who didn't pay a single dime, I've seen a bunch of threads on the forum. However, I don't agree with how you added the nag screen and I certainly didn't like the way you've replied at all. I haven't been around for the last 5 years to be one of those persons with tens or hundreds of servers who doesn't pay you and who doesn't donate.

Either way, I'm done with Proxmox VE and with this community. I wish you good luck.

You good luck too...

First sorry for making this threat longer. I think nag screen is not just a annoying nag screen. It is a popup that reminds me that I am a free user after using it for years. That makes me feel bad :). It could be at least randomly poping up or making a one time donation would also make is disabled to show users how kind you are. And best of course being able to disabled it. But of course it is your decision so I have respect for it...
As long as non-enterprise is stable which you explained so, I am still happy with proxmox and still my first opinion of course.

On the nag screen, I mentioned this to a colleague today. His response:

"Still faster than logging in to (expletive deleted) VMware."

:D

Reactions: 1 person
people, stop speaking /whining of that nag screen. If you don't like it - remove it by your own hands. Its just 5-sec job to do, if you know what you are doing. Proxmox team has rights to remind users to get subscription to use more stable production version of their software.

Hello Martin.

I think that is a great idea. Proxmox works well and forum support is all I really need. But we are a company that counts on Proxmox like Pfsense, Freepbx/astersk and other systems to just work. Here I can keep things running, but that means no real vacations. It is in our companies best interest for Proxmox to be around and support available.. We do prepay for hourly support from Pfsense and Freepbx. Our office manager and her assistant can with freepbz support handle any phone system issue. Our business needs the same type of set up for Proxmox systems.

As soon as our two new systems arrive, we'll purchase a subscription.

people, stop speaking /whining of that nag screen. If you don't like it - remove it by your own hands. Its just 5-sec job to do, if you know what you are doing. Proxmox team has rights to remind users to get subscription to use more stable production version of their software.

It's quite easy to remove (but It will be re-added at each update), but I don't like the principle behind it.
So, you are using proxmox without subscribtion, it is your right to do so, but you are constantly (ok, at each login, but for all users) reminded that you do not own a valid licence and you must consider buing one .. It is reminding me of those anti-piracy ads that you sometime have to watch before seeing a movie at the movie theather or on a blueray that you legally own ...

It's not a big deal, but it is annoying.

Dietmar,

Lets make a little deal. Proxmox VE is built on the shoulders of so much free open source software that YOU did not contribute to and that YOU did not write - and Proxmox VE could not exist without Debian, KVM, the Linux kernel, etc, etc, etc...

When you show us the $ you've chosen to send over to all those developers we'll stop griping about your very anti-social nag screen approach. While you may not have broken the letter of the GPL you've definitely left the spirt of that license in tatters.

oh - btw, when you calculate how much money you owe to those whose software you are using for free - make sure you pay them a linear multiplier for every CPU you've every licensed Proxmox to run on...

alternatively, please just remove the nag screen and stop ranting about users who do not chose to contribute. That's how FOSS works...some people see value in what you've built and will gladly contribute. Others are mere 'users' who contribute nothing. Show value, satisfy your users and you'll have no problem selling support subscriptions. Keep up the 'attitude' on the forums and your supporters will become your detractors. And FOSS company's who build up a lot of detractors tend to die off...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!