ProxmoxVE will change LICENCE?

badji

Renowned Member
Jan 14, 2011
The new version of Proxmox will change the license.

There is the new repository entreprise-proxmox, the ULA license ...
some details please.

thank's.

No, there is no license change. Do not mix support and services with the license.

What a relief! Thanks a lot for your commitment to Free Software.
The so called "open core" is something I consider true "proprietary software" since the good stuff is proprietary, and the open part can never evolve since could overlap to the closed one.
The real challenge is make money without restrict user's freedom.
I try to help you as much as my conditions permit, hope in a pair of payed subscription by the customer of the firm I work for at the end of this year

What a relief! Thanks a lot for your commitment to Free Software.
The so called "open core" is something I consider true "proprietary software" since the good stuff is proprietary, and the open part can never evolve since could overlap to the closed one.
The real challenge is make money without restrict user's freedom.
I try to help you as much as my conditions permit, hope in a pair of payed subscription by the customer of the firm I work for at the end of this year

I agree with you mmenaz. Even if I do not participate in the development of the project, but I do a lot of things for the project, simply, that it is in France - spirit can testify to the CNIT La Défense-Paris - or in Algeria, I do know the project with a lot of seminars and demonstrations in universities ... This project is an honest, no open-core version as eucalyptus for the community and the rest pay. The open-Eucalyptus project was overtaken by Openstack and CloudStack project because it gives a shit community and the rest by charging very expensive. I understand that we can not live without money, but be hones.

Merci.

Sorry to return to this subject.
All is not clear.
simply see confusion on the forum

What is the difference between the packages repository pve-entreprise and pve repository.
The packages from pve-entreprise is reliable but not those from pve repository?

The message : "You do not have a valid subscription for this server. Please visit www.proxmox.com to get a list of available options."
this is not a disguised way to sell free?

pve-community with less reliable programs and entrepsie-proxmox with the most reliable programs installed.
like OpenQRM OpenQRM community and business. it is up to us to make the choice.
Should we not be clear?

sincerely I'm not the only one poses these questions.

I do not forget that proxmoxve project needs money.

A clarity is needed

Sorry again.

Sorry to return to this subject.
All is not clear.

Proxmox VE source code is licensed under AGPL v3. Nothing changes with V3.1.

Beginning with 3.1, new support services are offered. But this has nothing to do with the license. Its a change in our support offerings.

simply see confusion on the forum

What is the difference between the packages repository pve-entreprise and pve repository.
The packages from pve-entreprise is reliable but not those from pve repository?

Read the announcement of 3.1, especially http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories

The message : "You do not have a valid subscription for this server. Please visit www.proxmox.com to get a list of available options."
this is not a disguised way to sell free?

This is a check if you are using the Proxmox VE Enterprise repository and your Subscription key is there and valid. If not, the warning/notification will be displayed - this is a feature for our customers (and a hint for all to become one). Open Source does not mean that someone cannot sell support and services, Open Source means that the sources are available.

pve-community with less reliable programs and entrepsie-proxmox with the most reliable programs installed.
like OpenQRM OpenQRM community and business. it is up to us to make the choice.
Should we not be clear?

sincerely I'm not the only one poses these questions.

I do not forget that proxmoxve project needs money.

A clarity is needed

Sorry again.

No, projects like OpenQRM releases their software under different licenses and also with different feature set. One is open source, the other one is commercial. see http://www.openqrm-enterprise.com/products-service/edition-comparison.html

In contrast to this dual licensing, Proxmox VE source code is just released ONLY under AGPL V3, there is no commercial software license available.

But we offer several support and subscription services, but this has nothing to do with the license, instead this is an agreement between us and our customers and is defined in our Subscription Agreement, see http://www.proxmox.com/proxmox-ve/pricing

hope things gets clearer now.

We are just afraid of possibility, that the next new versions and bugfixes are going to be only for pve-enterprise subscribers.

Yes of course.

Thank you TOM.

I do not want to live the same story as the OpenEucalyptus project. it's just an opencore but they say that it was a openSource projetc. it prompted me to go all the openstack project.

Merci beaucoup.

Yes of course.
So as I can understand, the only possibility to stay with free stable KVM virtualization platform on production servers is to continue using old proxmox or to migrate to another alternatives (ex.oVirt) ? :-\

So as I can understand, the only possibility to stay with free stable KVM virtualization platform on production servers is to continue using old proxmox or to migrate to another alternatives (ex.oVirt) ? :-\

That's what it seems like to me, except the current "stable" apt repo for 3.0 won't get anymore updates now that 3.1 is out (at least, according to the wiki)

So options are:
1. Go to 3.1 and live off the testing repo
2. Stay on 3.0, but don't get updates
3. Buy a license, and get stable updates

I use proxmox in a home lab with a small handful of servers, most dual CPU. Now while the pricing for support is low compared to other products, it's still way too far out of a college students budget. I will test and see if 3.1 unstable is good enough for me, but if not I am probably moving over to the free version of Hyper-V. Wish proxmox had an academic discount, or something of the sort.

"We are just afraid of possibility, that the next new versions and bugfixes are going to be only for pve-enterprise subscribers."

is that the case?

The question is quite simple : is pve-no-subscription repository the new pvetest ?

I don't mind paying for support, but paying for stable software and bugfixes ? You're just going to kill your community

I'd rather have this clearly answered by someone from proxmox staff.
If proxmox-free is going to get *unstable* or *testing*, that's going to be fun considering that the "community" subscription only allows support from ... community forum

yes, pve-no-subscription is the new test.

I see that I'm not the only one to understand everything. I'm due the new Proxmox project is not open source but they will not tell us directly. It's an opencore project and no a opensource project.
pve-company repository = true and the pve repository = rest...
we go to openstack.org, cloudstack.org and ovirt.org.
Proxmoxve became paid, but they take us for fools, they say it's just the service.
I know companies who develop for openstack, like eNovance France, the service is the deployment, training ... and there is just one version of openstack for every one.
Even Cisco participating to development the software neutron ex-quantum SDN with openvswitch offers the same version of openstack...

The TRUTH.

What i understand is the following:
pve-enterprise will get bug fix updates and such.

Then what happens when I am running 3.0-20 version and I want to upgrade lets say 3.2 when it is out? Technically I can download it for free but I can not upgrade from 3.0 to 3.2 for example?

"Beginning with Proxmox VE 3.1, the default and recommended repository is the Proxmox VE Enterprise Repository (pve-enterprise)."
so unless I have this repository I wont be able to get Proxmox related critical updates?

So, according to AGPL v3 license can i redistribute any packages from enterprise repository to all my servers? And can i get source packages from enterprise repo for some patching and rebuilding? I will buy one copy of community license for this. I have more than hundred HW servers with 2 or 4 CPU sockets in non-profit project and license price for all servers is unreal for me.

Be serious.. HUNDRED of HW servers, and you don't have money to buy a subscription that costs around the price of a Windows antivirus? Non-profit means that the hardware, electricity, people time, location, etc.. has been provided you for free, or you don't have money just to support a Free Software project? I find all this ridiculous. And if you really have no money just for Proxmox, I think you can happily live with the "no enterprise" repo, or grab/fork the code, recompile, test, improve, patch, provide support etc on it for all people around FOR FREE.
Freedom of code has a price, if you want 100% dedicated programmers and support, and not just relay upon some 16years old hobbyist mood, is the only way to go.

Reactions: t.lamprecht
I remind you that "community forum" gets a lot of attention and answers from Proxmox team members. Do you want them to still have time to answer the (community) forum or do you prefer they quit proxmox and find another well paid job?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!