reliable raid 10 set up

RobFantini

Famous Member
May 24, 2012
Boston,Mass
what is the best raid-10 host adapter / motherboard or to use with Debian/Stable and SAS drives?

We need to purchase 2 HA's for our new drbd set up.

Depends on your budget

We have R710 with H700 as well as 2950 with Perc6i for backup storage

For our SAN we use Custom supermicro solutions with all SSD

RAID cards are LSI-9288-8i

Thanks for the answers so far.

We've use supermicro custom systems.for 10+ years.

For a long time we've uses 3ware cards, and are having troubles with 9750-8i cards. I tried to use 8 ssd drives [ Samsung 820 ssd's] . We always check hardware compatability lists at drive manufacturer and lsi. And we try to keep firmware up to date.

the ssd array kept failing. drives randomly reset.

so we got a new chassis and tried with sas drives.

and yesterday got a lot of these emails from the card:
Code:
Aug 10, 2013 01:46:30PM - Controller 0
ERROR - Drive power on reset detected: phy=5

So we'll replace the drive today and see if the issue was a bad drive.

If the issues persist we'll try a different host adapter.

Just checked the Dell site, the PowerEdge R720's look like great units. [ R710'a are discontinued].

Do you use drbd ? If not how do you accomplish high availability storage?

thanks.

Last edited:
If your supermicro is a storage system I would recommend plain HBA's like Dell sas 6/iR (rebranded LSI) using a striped raid10 zfs pool. See benchmark for zfs compared with raid controller (HP smart array 5i). http://www.krenger.ch/blog/zfs-vs-h ardware-raid-raid-10/

Mir - thank you for the response.

Yes the supermicro will be for storage. I use zfsforlinux on pve at home and it is very very reliable. For home theater and running kvm's it is excellent . But there are just 4-5 users maximum.

Do you use zfs for shared storage?

If so which operating system do you suggest?

Yes, I use ZFS for shared storage. I have even develop a storage plugin for proxmox, which I hope will be included sometime in the future. My plugin use native zfs commands on the storage through ssh so the plugin therefore enables snapshots (native zfs) and cloning and templates which enables both full and linked clones.

Operating system is Omnios and for gui administrative interface I use napp-it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!