Vague named issues in vps

Chow

Apr 28, 2008
I'm having bind installed in a vps. We suffer from some vague dns issues. In my logfiles I see this error

May 10 04:25:16 da named[575]: internal_send: 192.0.2.1#53: Invalid argument
May 10 04:25:24 da named[575]: socket.c:1156: unexpected error:

I have no clue what this means but I remember that this 192.0.2.1 is used in openvz??

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Not something I've seen before. Perhaps there's some default iptables rule to block that traffic causing the error message you're seeing?

192.0.2.x This address range is earmarked for written examples. Books and documentation that refers to IP addresses should use this range. It is similar to the phone number 555-XXXX seen in movies.
[/FONT]

Ok, so I can ignore this error? DNS issues btw solved. It was a problem at some big ISP in The Netherlands.

May 10 04:25:16 da named[575]: internal_send: 192.0.2.1#53: Invalid argument
May 10 04:25:24 da named[575]: socket.c:1156: unexpected error:

Above is a warning from 'named'. Thats why you should first ask them. If they tell you its a openvz problem you can ask the openvz people. if they say its a proxmox problem I will take a look at it. BTW, whats the problem at all - does something no work as expected - maybe thats the first thing to find out.

I think I just ignore it. We had vague DNS problems and although I was pretty confident it was not our nameserver creating the issues I was just making 100% sure it was not us. In this search I found this error.
At the moment we know 100% sure its not our nameserver which created the problems so as long the error doesn't do any harm I just leave it there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!