Who has experience with Supermicro motherboards and Proxmox

Nick Stuebig

Jan 16, 2013
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Good day,

We want to start a Proxmox virtualization in our firm.
Here, the proposed hardware for about 12 virtual servers and HA:
- 2 x 6 core Xeons per host
- 128 gig Ram Per Host
- 10 TB NAS (I-SCSI 10GB on-Lan)

Someone already has experience with a similar configuration?
Which motherboard (manufacturer, type and bios would be great) would you recommend?
Is there a database / list of already tested hardware?

Thank you in advance for your effort

I have used supermicro - no major issue on that front.

My only thoughts on your config at present.

ISCSI
Performance of any system is critical. It all comes down to disk io.
ISCSI can look good, but be aware that you are limited by your Ethernet speed. You MUST go down the route of jumbo frames, and bonded Ethernet cards if you want to get anything near local disk speeds.

RAM
The ram quantity you have is great. But will be limited if your disk io is not good enough. Essentially if you dont get enough disk io, you will not be able to load up the machines - in effect meaning you will not use all your ram! (this all depends on the number and type of machines you are running)

-
I have found that personally I get best performance on a modest budget with the following:

2 x quad core cpu
4-6 raid 10 disk array. (Lately I have been using Seagate Hybrid drives. They perform rather well)
Disk volume configured to use noatime,data=writeback
LSI Raid - 512MB ram - Write & ADRA caching.
64GB ram

We only run openvz, and this setup scales rather well.

Apart from this... I would STRONGLY suggest you buy only one box to start with and test test test. It is difficult to get your money back if things done work :)

Rob

ISCSI
Performance of any system is critical. It all comes down to disk io.
ISCSI can look good, but be aware that you are limited by your Ethernet speed. You MUST go down the route of jumbo frames, and bonded Ethernet cards if you want to get anything near local disk speeds.

I am working with a MD3200i 4*1GB and using jumbo frames ahs proven to be hit and miss with results.

Also look at multipathing instead of bonding - it may prove more effective although the 10GB link on active/backup would out perform my 4*1GB connection anyway!

Good day,

We want to start a Proxmox virtualization in our firm.
Here, the proposed hardware for about 12 virtual servers and HA:
- 2 x 6 core Xeons per host
- 128 gig Ram Per Host
- 10 TB NAS (I-SCSI 10GB on-Lan)

Someone already has experience with a similar configuration?
Which motherboard (manufacturer, type and bios would be great) would you recommend?
Is there a database / list of already tested hardware?

Thank you in advance for your effort
Hi,
marotori is right - testing is very important because you can't avoid all problems.

I have some Supermicro boards and I'm not very happy with this crappy stuff...
128G Ram seems to be enough (in dependencies to the 12 cores).
I have an IScsi-raid with 10GB wich don't performs on our Servers (performance drop to kb/s), so that I use this raid from an Server with only 1GB-Nic (performs well) and the second Raid with 1GB-Nic is used by the 10GB-Servers... sounds bad (and is)!
In therory is all ok, but not in practice...

Udo

have 7 years experience with supermicro boards and casssis. yeah - some bios have bugs - but it is the general problem of some chipsets. look at standard boards - no special things - and you get a well supported and very proffesional server hardware. i have 80% amd - no problems since 3 years with proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!