How to add a disk to a Windows VM

philister

Jun 18, 2012
Hello all,

I ran into something supposedly easy, but it seems I'm missing something:

I added a 50GB IDE hard disk (LVM on iSCSI) to a Windows VM (Server 2008R2) through the Proxmox GUI. The new HD is IDE1, the boot disk is IDE0. I rebooted the Windows VM, but I can't see the new hard disk in Volume Manager.

Does somebody know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much.

a reboot is not enough to detect new hardware. stop and start the windows VM.

Just tried adding "hotplug: 1" to a Ubuntu precise kvm .

Added a disk and it did not appear.

So shutdown the kvm , started in case that made a difference. But when I again added a disk, it did not show up in the kvm, per ' fdisk -l' and 'dmesg'

Is hotplug supposed to work with linux vm's ?

so when I tried to remove the added disks in pve this showed: " error hot-unplug virtio2 at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Qemu.pm line 652. (500) "

after removing the hotplug line from the kvm config file I was able to remove the disks in pve web page.

and in syslog:
Dec 19 20:16:21 fbc241 pvedaemon[342346]: error on hot-unplugging device virtio2

Last edited:
Just tried adding "hotplug: 1" to a Ubuntu precise kvm .

Added a disk and it did not appear.

So shutdown the kvm , started in case that made a difference. But when I again added a disk, it did not show up in the kvm, per ' fdisk -l' and 'dmesg'

Is hotplug supposed to work with linux vm's ?

This is why is not yet activated by default, you need to load 2 modules in your linux guest:

acpiphp
pci_hotplug

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!