Is it possible to apply VLAN config without reboot

xlnt

Nov 17, 2011
Sweden
I wonder if it is possible to apply vlan (or any network) configurations without having to reboot the nodes. Preferably without affecting any ongoing network activity at all on the node. I would really love to see a more dynamic network management in proxmox where you can create and remove vlans when needed.

So stupid of me not to simply try before i posted the above. It looks to be as simple as simply edit /etc/network/interfaces and add for instance

auto vmbr250
iface vmbr250 inet manual
bridge_ports eth0.250
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Save the file and run
ifup vmbr250

And it's persistent after reboot as well. ;)

That makes me wonder why this is not implemented in the web ui since it is so easy to do. Could we please have this implemented as soon as possible? Why would you want to reboot to apply such things?

It is no longer necessary to configure a new bridge for each vlan and as such no need to use cli or reboot.

Just set the vlan ID on the network interface of the VM config.

How the hell could I have completely missed that? That is great. :p

It is no longer necessary to configure a new bridge for each vlan and as such no need to use cli or reboot.

Unfortunately set up VLAN ID is possible only for KVM VM. If you want to use OpenVZ environments you should choose venet or bridge interface. It would be great if you add ability to configure VLAN for OpenVZ without reboot.

So in my /etc/network/interfaces all I need is the vmbr0? Or do I still need all my bond0.2 through bond0.20 basically just dropping the vmbr2 through vmbr20.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!