RAID 0 for VM's

victor.german

Dec 9, 2022
Hello everyone,

I'm new to proxmox storage settings and I'm stuck since a few days ago with something I don't understand, my setup is as follows:

- 3 nodes in proxmox cluster with HA, (ver 6.4)

- 1 independent node (see 7.3)

I want to join the standalone node to the cluster, just for migrations and basic administration (no HA), and I want to use a RAID 0 on the standalone node for VM's and CT's, however I don't know how to make it visible to the other nodes because ZFS doesn't support it. share.

Even though there is no redundancy with RAID 0, ideally I require that configuration to take advantage of 3 960GB drives

Is this possible to do?

Thank you very much,

I want to join the standalone node to the cluster, just for migrations and basic administration (no HA), and I want to use a RAID 0 on the standalone node for VM's and CT's, however I don't know how to make it visible to the other nodes because ZFS doesn't support it. share.
What does ZFS not support?
ZFS supports raid0, its just not recommended on top of HW raid.
While it is true that ZFS is no shared storage, it is possible to create a NFS share on top of it for a shared storage.
- 3 nodes in proxmox cluster with HA, (ver 6.4)
You really should update them. They are vulnerable as you don't get any security patches because PVE 6.X is end of life since this summer.

What does ZFS not support?
ZFS supports raid0, its just not recommended on top of HW raid.
While it is true that ZFS is no shared storage, it is possible to create a NFS share on top of it for a shared storage.
Thanks Dunuin, How can I create a NFS share on top?, I do it this:

1. Joint the independent node to the cluster
2. Create a zpool

1670621347999.png
3. On Datacenter>Storage>Add>NFS I can to select the new ZFS storage
1670621488924.png
4. Create a new VM
5. When I trate to migrate to the other node, the target storage is in 0kb,

1670624580598.png

I dont know what I doing wrong

You really should update them. They are vulnerable as you don't get any security patches because PVE 6.X is end of life since this summer.
Ok, I agree

Attachments

• 1670621127653.png
    1670621127653.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 10

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!