Is Replication coming on non-ZFS storage ?

Jan 16, 2022
Hi everyone our datacenter is built on shared sas storage between blades servers.

Really solid but we lack of replication that we do have with same type of storages on hyperv Custers.

Is there anything coming in a next release of proxmox or it will never appen..?

@RolandK mentioned ZFS replication already. It's something to be aware of, but it wouldn't apply to your existing shared-SAS storage. The other supported method is via Ceph, which is also not applicable to your current storage. As @RolandK said, the storage agnostic approach would be the only way to plug into your existing environment. But, I'm not sure that's on the roadmap.

We've also been developing a DR/Replication solution that will work with Proxmox. It should be available early next year. Our main objectives are maintaining high performance, providing replicated storage supporting a Proxmox site transition, and optimizing the data transfers. Again, I don't know if this helps you, but ping me if you want to chat.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: spirit
if you can pass through the same LUN to multiple blades the classical approach would be putting LVM (not thin - so no snapshots) on a LUN and add that as shared storage to all your blades - that way all your nodes have access to the VM's disks.

Technically, I think it could be possible to do continous replication with qemu directly, without snapshot, like for backup, but always running. With using the new fleecing backup from qemu 7.0
https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/7.0#Block_devices
with a buffer disk to handle the fast write. This allow to create some kind of virtual snapshots.

But yes, it's a lot more complex to manage than sync snapshots from storage. (could be great to have ceph rbd replication too, mainly when remote clusters will be implemented)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!