Migrate backup to another datastore

ferret

Dec 6, 2020
Hi,

Is it possible to migrate backups from one datastore to another datastore?

I have implemented a RAIDZ pool and a RAID10 pool in the same disk array shelf which is managed by a bare metal implementation of Proxmox Backup Server, I would like to move current datastore backups on RAIDZ pool to a newly implemented RAID10 pool...

Any assistance would be very much kindly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

Is it possible to migrate backups from one datastore to another datastore?

I have implemented a RAIDZ pool and a RAID10 pool in the same disk array shelf which is managed by a bare metal implementation of Proxmox Backup Server, I would like to move current datastore backups on RAIDZ pool to a newly implemented RAID10 pool...

Any assistance would be very much kindly appreciated.

Cheers
Hi, there might be several ways to achieve this, non of which I have tested so you might want to TEST THIS ON A NON-CRITICAL SETUP FIRST.

I do not know if this is supported, but you could try to use the proxmox-backup-manager remote functionality of PBS to sync the two local datastores. See https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/managing-remotes.html#
Another possible option is to simply copy over the data from one datastore to the other (don't forget the hidden folders which is where the actual data chunks of the backups reside). Make sure you do this before activating the new datastore in order to avoid conflicts. Last but not least sending the dataset with zfs send ... | zfs receive ... could also be an option, again make sure to activate the datastore only after sending the data.

Reactions: ferret
Hi Che,

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

After a few attempts with different options you suggested and results of other searches from the forum, he is what worked;
  1. Removed PBS storage from Proxmox datacenter console
  2. Snapshot of storage A
  3. Create new clean dataset on storage B
  4. ZFS replicate snapshot to new dataset on storage B
  5. Manually injected storage B into config file (/etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg)
  6. Created new PBS storage with same ID pointing at storage B in Proxmox datacenter console
That's it and a seamless working backup schedule again. Plus a bonus with some more learning's about PBS and how it ticks.

Cheers!

Reactions: markleman and che
Hello there,

i have 2 datastore on same PBS. I need to move host backup and vm backup from a datastore to another one. How I do that without start with a new full backup job for each host and vm ?
I have almost 7 TB to migrate and each backup jobs take days. Datastore fs are ext4 the source one and ZFS the destination datastore.
There is an official way to do that?
In the future i have to replicate this procedure on a even larger new datastore...

Create a new namespace "ext4new" on the new target store "zfs".
Configure and start a sync between the old backupstore "ext4" and the new backupstore "zfs" into the new namespace "ext4new".
You can do the normal backups to the old store "ext4" during the time of sync to "zfs/ext4new".
When ready with syncing, disable the syncjob, change the backup target of the vms to the new "zfs/ext4new"
Now remove the syncjob and the old backup datastore.
All this will work through the gui.

To move the backups to the "zfs/root" namespace, you have to do it per cli. There is no official way as far as I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: leesteken
Are these datastores within the same PBS server? I'd be interested in this as well. I know we can copy from within the same store, but I want to copy to a different store in order to split up my backups and run GC and prunes on each store independently.
Thank you.
@Toranaga How are you syncing the two?

Hello there,

i have 2 datastore on same PBS. I need to move host backup and vm backup from a datastore to another one. How I do that without start with a new full backup job for each host and vm ?
I have almost 7 TB to migrate and each backup jobs take days. Datastore fs are ext4 the source one and ZFS the destination datastore.
There is an official way to do that?
In the future i have to replicate this procedure on a even larger new datastore...
Did you find out how to do this? I want to separate my datastores and VMS so each set of backups goes to a different datastore. Initially I backed them all up to the same store but I want them on two different stores on the same PBS Server.
Thanks.

Did you find out how to do this? I want to separate my datastores and VMS so each set of backups goes to a different datastore. Initially I backed them all up to the same store but I want them on two different stores on the same PBS Server.
Thanks.
Hi, yes. it works. i did not used namespaces. simply created a "remotes" and then a sync job on the secondary datastore (in the same pbs).
Thank you all guys.

I have achieved moving vm's between existing datastores.

* create a remote "localhost"
* add sync job on the target datastore, pulling from localhost's source datastore with a group filter only covering the desired vm
* run-now the sync job, after that remove the temporary sync job

Limitations:

* only possible if vmid does not allready exist on the target datastore
* does not work easely for encrypted datastores (missing key on target)

So lessons learned: Backup datastore encryption key from cluster. Otherwise backups are useless in case of cluster crash.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!