[SOLVED] Transfer PBS (in proxmox VM) to another proxmox with datastore transfer

cryonie

May 8, 2020
Hello,

So, i'm in the process of changing my PBS server.
My actual server is a Virtual machine in a Proxmox.
The virtual machine has 4 HDD (4*500Go) passthrough.
In the PBS VM, those 4 disks are in ZFS raid 0+1.
The PBS has backup of various things (data and VM/CT) that comes from another Proxmox server.

Now, I want to get rid of this server and transfer my PBS VM to a new server.
This new PBS VM on the new server (also in proxmox) will have a 1To disk (i won't do ZFS on this new server).

Now is the real question ... how do i manage to take all my backups from my actual PBS to the new PBS ?
Of course I can backup my PBS VM and restore it on the new proxmox ... but the real question is how will I be able to transfer all the chuns/data of my datastore from the old PBS to the new one ?

If anyone have ideas ... I would love it because for nos i'm a little lost.

Thank you :)

Hello @cryonie If I understand correctly, you have PBS running as VM in a Proxmox VE machine. The 4HDD Drives are configured to passthrough to the PBS VM as datastores?
Do you have a way to rsync the datastore from the 4HDDs presently to the 1 TB Disk which you will connect to the new PBS VM?
Then you can configure the datastore in /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg to manually add the old datastore to the new PBS VM when you connect the 1 TB Drive configured as a passthrough device.
Hope that makes sense.

Or are you asking for a way to backup the PBS VM from the first machine and restoring it onto the your second Machine. Unless you have a lot of settings and configurations already setup, it doesn't take much to build a new one.

Last edited:
You could also use the sync feature that is integrated in PBS to sync your backups from the old to the new PBS server.

Reactions: Jarvar
Hello @cryonie If I understand correctly, you have PBS running as VM in a Proxmox VE machine. The 4HDD Drives are configured to passthrough to the PBS VM as datastores?
Do you have a way to rsync the datastore from the 4HDDs presently to the 1 TB Disk which you will connect to the new PBS VM?
Then you can configure the datastore in /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg to manually add the old datastore to the new PBS VM when you connect the 1 TB Drive configured as a passthrough device.
Hope that makes sense.

Or are you asking for a way to backup the PBS VM from the first machine and restoring it onto the your second Machine. Unless you have a lot of settings and configurations already setup, it doesn't take much to build a new one.
rsync datastore ... yeah that makes sense. I'll look for this to see how it goes.

You could also use the sync feature that is integrated in PBS to sync your backups from the old to the new PBS server.
Yeah ... this seems cool too. Even more "clean" that the rsync.
I might try it first.

Yeah ... this seems cool too. Even more "clean" that the rsync.
I might try it first.
I found if you are able to attach your second drive 1TB to the same computer as your 4xHDD, the transfer will be a lot faster.
For me, I had to build a new remote server. I'd have to rsync it over ssh, or zfs send and receive. Instead I chose to use the remote sync feature built in to the PBS. If you have physical access to the drives then transferring it over seems to be the fastest for me. Also depends on how big your datastore. There lots of help and people with experience in this forum.

I found if you are able to attach your second drive 1TB to the same computer as your 4xHDD, the transfer will be a lot faster.
For me, I had to build a new remote server. I'd have to rsync it over ssh, or zfs send and receive. Instead I chose to use the remote sync feature built in to the PBS. If you have physical access to the drives then transferring it over seems to be the fastest for me. Also depends on how big your datastore. There lots of help and people with experience in this forum.
Benefit of PBS sync is, that it doesn't have to be fast. You can continue using the old PBS while syncing your backups to the new PBS. Once that is done you can shutdown the old PBS and only use the new PBS. So there is zero downtime.

Reactions: Jarvar
Ok so ...
I've gone the "dirty" way :)

Create pve on new computer.
Copy backup of PBS VM from old to new.
Disable backups coming to Actual PBS + disabling network card
Restore PBS backup file to new pve
Reattach new HDD to new PBS
Create new datastore (because I wanted to change the name :))
Copy all files in datastore from old PBS to USB disk
Copy all files from USB disk to new datastore directory.
Change all datastore name in /etc/proxmox-backup/*.cfg files

New datastore appear in the PBS, i see my saves ... tried to restore some files to check, everything seems fine.
Running full verify right now and it seems fine :)

Change name of datastore in my PVE (the one i save in this PBS) located in /etc/pve/storage.cfg.
Enabled the daily backups again and ... they are running as if nothing happened :)

The only thing i lost is : metrics ... i don't know where proxmox store them but they are already linked to my old datastore name.
If solebody know where and how they are storesd i would love to update them to have my old metrics on my new datastore :)

Thanks for all your ideas !

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!