Force port 443 instead of 8006

deranjer

Dec 28, 2010
Is there an easy way to get proxmox to force a 443 connection all of the way through and not redirect to port 8006?

ssh to your host, and edit /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pve.conf and change <VirtualHost *:8006> by <VirtualHost *:443>

i get this error with firefox: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long
single machine, no cluster etc.

is there a reason why you use now 8006 and not 443 anymore?

i get this error with firefox: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long
single machine, no cluster etc.

is there a reason why you use now 8006 and not 443 anymore?

just guess!

no, try again.

Ok, I will try to shorten this thread. Port 443 is used by web severs, so many user complained about that.

But you can simply use iptables to do a port redirect if you want to use another port.

thx
i still don't get it why somebody complains about a standard-port used for the "WEB-ui", but ok, maybe i don't see the big picture :)

Proxmox VE is already 443 check your /etc/apache2/sites-available/pve-redirect.conf config file.
Its redirect port 443 and port 80 to port 8006.

For those of you advocating changing my pve-redirect or pve.conf (first off, I don't think editing pve.conf should not work period as there is a redirect), have any of you actually tried that? Because I don't think it works, I delete the re-direct file and edit pve.conf to 443 and still doesn't work. I can change the redirect to redirect back to 443, still nothing.

[warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port 443, the first has precedence
... waiting [Wed Apr 04 08:56:52 2012] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port 443, the first has precedence
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443

I will look into IPtables port redirect.

Proxmox VE is already 443 check your /etc/apache2/sites-available/pve-redirect.conf config file.
Its redirect port 443 and port 80 to port 8006.

Yes, but you can simply disable that feature (and it is only a redirect).

For those of you advocating changing my pve-redirect or pve.conf (first off, I don't think editing pve.conf should not work period as there is a redirect), have any of you actually tried that? Because I don't think it works, I delete the re-direct file and edit pve.conf to 443 and still doesn't work. I can change the redirect to redirect back to 443, still nothing.

[warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port 443, the first has precedence
... waiting [Wed Apr 04 08:56:52 2012] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port 443, the first has precedence
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443

I will look into IPtables port redirect.

The correct procedure is:

1- delete /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pve-redirect.conf
2- edit /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pve.conf and change <VirtualHost *:8006> to <VirtualHost *:443>
3- /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!