dirty-bitmap status: existing bitmap was invalid and has been cleared - every.single.time!

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

I have a three node PVE cluster running with a few VMs.

One of them, I back up every two hours.

And every time the backup runs (and completes successfully) the dirty bitmap from the previous run is - allegedly - invalid and is cleared. And so the backup (currently shy of 600GiB) takes forever.

Since there are no errors, I have no idea where to start debugging this.

How can it be that the dirty bitmap is invalid every single time, after less than two hours?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

What type of backup are you running? As soon as the VM is stopped the dirty-bitmap will become invalid. A "stop mode" backup for example won't be able to use any dirty-bitmapping because it will stop the VM before each backup.

Hi,
is this only a single backup job or do you have multiple jobs to different targets (different namespace also counts!)? Please share the VM configuration and backup log on both Proxmox VE and PBS side, and the output of pveversion -v and
proxmox-backup-manager versions --verbose.

Reactions: leesteken
ah, yes. There are two backup jobs for this VM to different targets (I am in the process of migrating from my old PBS installation to a new one).

I have disabled one and will report back.

ah, yes. There are two backup jobs for this VM to different targets (I am in the process of migrating from my old PBS installation to a new one).
Then it's expected, because the bitmap is only valid for a given target (and we don't save multiple bitmaps).
I have disabled one and will report back.
If it still doesn't work, something weird is going on.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!