Several remote Standalone PVE - Central Management

fischedouglas

Jul 8, 2020
Comparing to Vmware, Hyper-v, RHEV, and other solutions...

Beyond managing a cluster, central manager(Ex.: Vmware vCenter, Windows server manager.) is also good for safety and easily maintaining several remote node of virtualization.

It gives us centralized configuration, and monitoring.
Allowing to easily maintaining, with 5-6 guys on the team, all the nodes with day-by-day operations.

Of course, when some issues occurs with the remote node, the operation needs to be specific on that node until it gets healthy.

We are on a project that were will be deployed almost 20 small nodes distributed on very different locations, and a central cluster with three nodes.

I was looking on the documentation of proxmox... and I only found centralized management on Cluster enviroment(that could be done with any cluster-node).

But...How to central manage remote virtualization nodes with Proxmox?
I really don't like the idea of trusting the Browser favorites of my team to do that.

OK!
This is not the information that I wanted, but it is a way much better than "nops, i will not happen...".

Inevitably, it take to questions:
1- Any ETA for that resource?
2- There is any design for what is the desired tool?
3- There is already any public code for that?

I presume that the "central manager" will be something like already exists on the GUI.
The communication between Central Manager and Remote Standalone Node will be done through what protocols?
- API?
- SSH?
- SNMP?

Did you considered any kind of tunneled(secure) communication?
Some kind of "call-home" tool, that could work behind NATand things like that.

P.S.: I'm not a dev guy! I'm a network guy...
But if I could contribute with something. Will be a pleasure.

1- Any ETA for that resource?
2- There is any design for what is the desired tool?
3- There is already any public code for that?
Not currently.

I presume that the "central manager" will be something like already exists on the GUI.
The communication between Central Manager and Remote Standalone Node will be done through what protocols?
Well, definitely with the REST API and other secure tunneling protocols (eg. SSH, TLS).

P.S.: I'm not a dev guy! I'm a network guy...
But if I could contribute with something. Will be a pleasure.
Thanks for the offer. We always need people to report, test and fix bugs. :)
https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve/get-involved

Is there any update on this feature? Been interested and this is the only thing stopping me from moving multiple datacenters from VMWare to Proxmox.

We are working on this (high priority).

(Before you ask, we do not yet have any release date for the first alpha/beta)

Thanks for the reply.

FYI - I am looking to get subscription for all our DC nodes and in the middle of decision making to chose best way forward from VMWare. This feature will make a certain switch to proxmox for us.

Reactions: tom
Extremly interested in this as well. Currently have ~20 separate locations + 1 central cluster in production. Adding another 30 shortly. Geographically diverse location (different countries). If you need a tester, let me know. I would be happy to test drive it.

there was a post from a (french?) guy some days ago, who is implementing some centralized management tool for multi single-node oder multi cluster. unfortunately, i don't find that anymore. maybe someone remembers and can share it here

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!