webui autologout after < 5 mins

Hyien

Jun 18, 2021
I'm noticing on some of my pve hosts, my web ui login sessions expire after less than 5 mins.
This may have happened on prior versions as well, but I noticed this only after upgrading to 7.2 from 7.1.
I've seen some older threads with a similar issue where folks were suggesting time sync issues, but my system time / ntp are synced on all nodes in the same cluster.
Anyone else experiencing the same issue and managed to resolve it?

if you time is really synced (see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Time_Synchronization , also check your client) then i'd check the syslog/journal during the time from login to logout
the only reason why you should be logged out is if the backend says that the ticket is invalid, and that should only happen when it expired after ~2 hours (in the gui we refresh the ticket every 15 minutes, so no auto-logout should happen)

are there any specific log entries that i can check for when a timeout happens on the server end?

i noticed when performing a live migration, i got msgs like 'file /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid modified in the future'.
wonder if this might have anything to do with it.

i noticed when performing a live migration, i got msgs like 'file /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid modified in the future'.
wonder if this might have anything to do with it.
this sounds like the time-synchronization is not really working...

once you fixed the clock jumping issue your system is likely suffering from, you'll need to reset the timestamps of /etc/pve/authkey.pub* if they are in the future (either remove them, which will re-generate them, but invalidates all current tickets, or touch them to reset their timestamp) - then a ticket should be valid for ~2h again, and the UI will be able to refresh the ticket while you are using it.

Reactions: VDNKH

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!