Unsupported SFP+ module

lmiksche

Feb 20, 2021
Hi I´v got this problem with unsupported module. My system is Dell R720 with the i350/X520 integrated NIC.
There used to be workaround like this, that for some reason doesnt work for me!!! PLEASE HELP. Or do i have spend more money on transceivers? I have 10GbE CISCO MM LC, that so far worked everywhere and if i do have to throw money at it which modules will be compatible? Must be MM LC. Thank YOU!

THE USSUAL WORKAROUNT THAT DOESNT WORK:

Testing

We will now confirm whether this issue is due to the unsupported sfp+. We will now add a parameter “options ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1” to the ixgbe modue whoes path is :

“/etc/modprobe.d/ixgbe.conf”. The commands is as follows:

1. [root@xyz ~]# vi /etc/modprobe.d/ixgbe.conf [ which now opens a blank text editor ]
2. options ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1 [add this parameter ]
3. [root@xyz ~]# rmmod ixgbe; modprobe ixgbe [ we then remove the module and reload it again with these commands ]
4. [root@xyz ~]# ip a [to check whether the missing interface with the uplink is showing]
If the above steps are successful and the missing interface is showing, then we can confirm that the issue is unsupported SFP+. However, the above test is not permanent and will be flushed out once rebooted.

Fix the issue permanently

Perform the below commands, add the parameter to the grub file and update the grub file.

1. [root@xyz ~]# vi /etc/default/grub
2. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”ixgbe.allow_unsupported_sfp=1″ [adding the parameter to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”” ]
3. [root@xyz ~]# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg [ upgrading the grub with the command]
4. [root@xyz ~]# rmmod ixgbe && modprobe ixgbe
5. Finally, reboot the system and see that the interface comes up right.

Last edited:
Did you checked that Proxmox is booting using grub? If it is installed to boot from EFI using systemd you need to edit other files (/etc/kernel/cmdline instead of /etc/default/grub).

And I normally use update-grub and not grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to write changes to the grub.

Last edited:
Kind of new to all this. U are most likely right. What would be the commands for updating command line after edit?
Thank You so much!

There is not such a file. in etc/kernel/
only ones there are install, postinst and postrm. Should i create one?
Any way to check what is it using? As when the same think works on other debians i dont see reason why it wouldnt work here.

Last edited:
Any way to check what is it using? As when the same think works on other debians i dont see reason why it wouldnt work here.
You could run fdisk -l and look if there is partition of type "efi partition" on your boot drive. If you got a EFI partition it is using EFI and not GRUB as bootloader.

Im sure there is EFI partition. If we cant solve it i will have new modules by Tuesday.
Try to create a new file with nano /etc/kernel/cmdline, add "ixgbe.allow_unsupported_sfp=1" as the first line. Update EFI by running pve-efiboot-tool refresh

Last edited:
Nope... it just doesnt seem to care... im ordering new modules, just dont understand why would intel not allow use of CISCO modules... Stupid bastards...

Nope... it just doesnt seem to care... im ordering new modules, just dont understand why would intel not allow use of CISCO modules... Stupid bastards...
Which modules are you going for? I'm pretty much in this same situation.

I obtained 8 off intel 10G transceivers they work fine. As i moved to 40Gbits now I could sell off maybe 4 of them, but you can find them on ebay easy enough. Be aware chinese sell intel compatible, not sure about quality of those. As well it has to be the same transceiver on boths sides, if you use cisco on one side and intel on the other, it doesnt seems to work either. What is the other side of the line?
Also if you already have other transceivers and space in the server it may be cheaper to buy 10G 2port mellanox NIC then several transceivers.

Last edited:
The Intel branded ones should work as the hardware vendor of the NIC is Intel X520. An email to FS.com support will confirm. Not sure where you are based but FS.com ship from Germany so you may have to pay import taxes if you're not in the eurozone. You can mix manufacturers - eg. HP to CISCO or Juniper to Brocade (would be daft if they couldn't) but the transceivers do need to be hardware compatible with their host nic and signal compatible -e.g 850nm and 1310nm won't mix.

I obtained 8 off intel 10G transceivers they work fine. As i moved to 40Gbits now I could sell off maybe 4 of them, but you can find them on ebay easy enough. Be aware chinese sell intel compatible, not sure about quality of those. As well it has to be the same transceiver on boths sides, if you use cisco on one side and intel on the other, it doesnt seems to work either. What is the other side of the line?
Also if you already have other transceivers and space in the server it may be cheaper to buy 10G 2port mellanox NIC then several transceivers.
Thank you. It's a new ZyXEL XGS1930 on the other side so should be reasonably compatible with anything. It has 4x SPF+ 10G uplink ports. I had 3 transceiver sets in the "parts bin" I had planned to use but then found they didn't work on the dell card. Next one I tried was meant to work and dell bios sees it and shows it "up" but proxmox won't play ball. I'll look at the mellox card. Thank you for that. It may be a better option anyway.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!