How to add NVME drive without every NIC changing?

Maxi1134

Sep 12, 2020
As the title state, I added a new NVME which changed the "Predictable" names of my network card ( ENP5 -> ENP6 ) and virtually all my drives.
Now I am unable to access the web interface of the server since the NIC of the ethernet port changed.

Last time that I wanted to add an NVME I had to reinstall proxmox for it to properly detect the right NICs
this is not a solution today.

What would be the /correct/ /step-by-step/ steps to add a NVME without breaking everything?

Thanks for reading!

Try NamePolicy=mac to fix the names to the MAC addresses. Note that this will cause a maybe change to all NICs, but afterwards adding PCI(e) devices won't disturb them.
It might be simpler to login on the console after adding the NVMe device and change /etc/network/interfaces and increase the right numbers by 1, if the NVMe device comes before the NICs.

Try NamePolicy=mac to fix the names to the MAC addresses. Note that this will cause a maybe change to all NICs, but afterwards adding PCI(e) devices won't disturb them.
It might be simpler to login on the console after adding the NVMe device and change /etc/network/interfaces and increase the right numbers by 1, if the NVMe device comes before the NICs.

This works (incrementing by 1 ) and fixes the network, but the drives still show these errors:
https://i.imgur.com/XG13Ckx.jpg

As per my other post

You should mount disks using WNN, UUID or some other kind of unique ID anyway. Then it wouldn't matter if the ID of the SSD would change.
Those drives are SATA and mounted with UUID afaik.
The problem arises when plugging the NVME, Google is not very helpful, unfortunately.

Those drives are SATA and mounted with UUID afaik.
The problem arises when plugging the NVME, Google is not very helpful, unfortunately.
Yes but it wouldn't matter if it switches for example from /dev/nvme0 to /dev/nvme1 if you mount that NVMes by for example UUID too. Then it still would mount the correct NVMe no matter whats its called.

Last edited:
Check all BIOS storage settings. Make sure to select AHCI instead of RAID. Disable Intel Storage stuff. That's what I could gather from searching the internet.
Already set to AHCI for both NVME and SATA drives.
The CPU is AMD, so no worry regarding intel stuff

And all this happend before you (or it automatically) start any VM? Because it looks similar to passthrough of a device from the AMD chipset IOMMU group that contains the SATA controller.
What motherboard are you using?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!