Which version of Proxmox is better on old and new or recent servers?

Aug 4, 2020
Greetings,

I have installed several promox servers on old and new or recent servers, I try to find that if the server is very old I use version 5.4, as the server becomes less old I use 6.1 and if it is very recent I use version 7.1

- Now, I have an old service of more than 8 years with:
24 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz (2 Sockets) - Release Date Q3'2014
RAM 128GB DDR3 ECC Memory
SAS Raid Controller with Battery
SAS hard drives

This server accepts and installs version 7.1 The question is: should I take into account that depending on how old a server is, I use the version of Proxmox, or if the old server accepts the most recent version of Proxmox, can it be used?

Thank you.

I wouldn't use PVE 5.x as it isn't getting security updates any longer. And PVE 6.x will be EoL this summer too. So if you want a secure system you should always use the latest PVE version.

I wouldn't use PVE 5.x as it isn't getting security updates any longer. And PVE 6.x will be EoL this summer too. So if you want a secure system you should always use the latest PVE version.
Greetings, I mean, my server is more than 10 years old and if it accepts version 7.1 in the installation, nothing happens? Thank you.

Normally, it should not. I'm also running PVE on various generations of hardware and I never run into a problem that a) I could not solve b) wasn't solved my the Proxmox staff (kernel patch).
Hello, when you mean: solve it with the proxmox staff, do you mean having the paid subscription with them or here in the forum?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!