Proxmox Cluster, ceph and VM restart takes a long time

muko

May 14, 2021
Hi guys.

for test purposes I've settled a small cluter with two nodes and one quorum device.
Everything is working pretty well, also the live migration in case of fault.
Min/Max Replicas: 2
Max restart: 1
Max relocate: 10
KVM HW virtualization: enabled

What I think is bad is the time that proxmox requires to restart the VM on a different node: it' really requires a lot of time and it could be not acceptable in production.
Any idea?

Last question:

The two nodes are equally equipped with 8c/16t CPU, 128GB RAM and three SSD disks. On the first one I've inslalled Proxmox, the remaining two disks on each node are used for CEPH.
Is this the best I can do? Is it true that ceph provides proper redundancy across nodes and the node itself?

May want to search on-line for blog posts on how other people setup a 2-node Proxmox cluster with a witness device (qdevice).

how are you restarting the machine? Are you just pulling the plug on one proxmox, or just the migrate button?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!