SSD performance way different in PVE shell vs Debian VM

stiphout

Apr 22, 2022
Hi!

I read this page: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Benchmarking_Storage

And then I logged into my pve's shell and did the 4k performance check from that page:

Code:
fio --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --sync=1 --rw=read --bs=4k --numjobs=1 --iodepth=1 --runtime=60 --time_based --name seq_read --filename=/dev/sda

I got a pretty decent result:

Code:
read: IOPS=16.8k, BW=65.8MiB/s (68.0MB/s)(3948MiB/60001msec)

Then I logged into a Debian 11 VM and did the same command, on the same physical disk, but, of course, it's now going through the LVM-thin storage provided by the PVE. I got this result:

Code:
read: IOPS=5192, BW=20.3MiB/s (21.3MB/s)(1217MiB/60001msec)

Now, I EXPECT some performance loss from the overhead of going through the LVM-thin storage, but a 69% loss seems excessive.

FYI, here's my Debian 11 VM hardware page:

hw.png

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

-Dutch

I just did some tests after reading your comment. My SSD (intel S3710) is around half the speed I got under ESXi.

Last edited:
enable vdisk writecache in vm hardware option then report result

with a cache=writeback, everything else is great but the 4k 32Q 1T is still about half (didn't improve from the default "no-cache"). 4KQ32T1 is around 100-120 MB/s which is around half of what the S3700 is capable of under ESXi.

with a cache=unsafe, results are the same as writeback.

Next I'll pass-thru a physical disk and test it there.

What are your esxi settings? What is your VM config? (qm config) What is your host CPU?
Reasons for being faster/slower can be en/disabled CPU flags (spectre and meltdown), cache, storage type, hardware, and several other things.

Also, how did you benchmark your disk?

Last edited:
For maximum performance, please make sure that you use "SCSI Controller single" and on the disk, "IO thread" is checked.

Reactions: leesteken
Hi!

I read this page: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Benchmarking_Storage

And then I logged into my pve's shell and did the 4k performance check from that page:

Code:
fio --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --sync=1 --rw=read --bs=4k --numjobs=1 --iodepth=1 --runtime=60 --time_based --name seq_read --filename=/dev/sda

I got a pretty decent result:

Code:
read: IOPS=16.8k, BW=65.8MiB/s (68.0MB/s)(3948MiB/60001msec)

Then I logged into a Debian 11 VM and did the same command, on the same physical disk, but, of course, it's now going through the LVM-thin storage provided by the PVE. I got this result:

Code:
read: IOPS=5192, BW=20.3MiB/s (21.3MB/s)(1217MiB/60001msec)

Now, I EXPECT some performance loss from the overhead of going through the LVM-thin storage, but a 69% loss seems excessive.

FYI, here's my Debian 11 VM hardware page:

View attachment 36202

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

-Dutch
I suggest setting processor type to "host" and hard disk cache to "none". I also use SCSCI single controller with discard and iothread to "on". Also set the Linux IO scheduler to "none/noop".

Last edited:
scsi single controller + iothreads are revelant only if more than one vdisk is in use isn't it ?
not needed if one shot benchmark with only 1 vm + 1 vdisk, isn't it ?

Even with a single disk, iothreads can give a speedup, because it means qemu has to do less work in the main thread. In a quick test on a single disk VM setup with the earlier mentioned fio command, with iothread enabled I get 50% more IOPS and BW than without.

Reactions: Dunuin and _gabriel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!