Grub Failure?

waps

Dec 22, 2021
Hi,

I had a working Proxmox server, a simple setup woth Proxmox on SSD, a OpenMediaVault VM and a Win10 VM. (Content stored on additional HDD&SDDs)

I removed all 3 drives and installed Windows on a new SDD for testing.

Reverted back to old setup, pluged in original SSD and now from the Bios Boot device menu the only option is 'Windows Boot Manager (Samsung SSD 980 1TB)'. Once I boot into this I get a Windows 10 Recovery screen with missing \Windows\syetm\windload.efi message.

Some context, I was 'playing' with setting up iGPU Passthrough for the Win10 VM but was unsuccesful. But that didnt matter, I carried on using the main OMV VM.

Not sure on what caused this, either setting up iGPU for Win10 or removing all drives and adding them back has confused the bios or somethinng.

It seems that Grub is screwed up and PC is trying to boot directly into the Win10 VM ?

I can boot with Proxmox 7 USB, enter Rescue mode and then everything works as normal, I can log into console and see my VMs.

Not sure on what I do from here, do I proceed with this ?

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure

Thanks

it's a lost of grub setting and need to remount the pve with vgscan, mount all folder to proper point... long task.
next time : no hdd unplug : go to bios, set boot order and all ok. bit longer than just having a dual boot menu, but each boot mbr is dedicated to his own os as if it was a single drive machine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!