How to delete Ghost OSDs

How many OSDs do you currently have? 25?

Did you remove some OSDs at some point? Maybe they were not removed completely.

Can you check the output of ceph osd ls against the list of OSDs that you currently have?

yes 25 osds

yes we replaced some ssds a 3 days ago.

I see a list of numbers from 0 to 26

Last edited:
How did you remove the OSDs you replaced? Looks like something did not work completely or if you did it more manually, that some steps were missed.

Check which OSD IDs are listed but are no actual OSDs anymore.

You could then run ceph osd purge <id> to remove them from Ceph. Be careful to only do that with the IDs you are sure were removed.

Reactions: Hyacin
thanks

I think the reason was that we had most servers licenced (enterprise repo) but our two new servers we didnt have licenced yet.
We then licenced them a week ago but didnt reboot them. When we tried to replace osds it kept freezing looking at logs at some point in the creating and formating of the OSDs. I see one of us tried it with two different ssds.
When then rebooted those two nodes that were added after updating and it creation then worked fine.

I did ceph osd purge osd.23 and ceph osd purge osd.25 and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!