Moving mirrored ZFS PCIe NVME disks to new server

Jan 8, 2022
I've just built a new server running 7.1-7. My previous server is running 6.3-6.
I did a clean install on the new machine and restored most of my major VMs from backup. I now have both servers running, and I'm testing the config,
All is working well so far.

One thing I have on the original machine is a pair of PCIe NVME drives in a ZFS Mirror-0 config. There's one specific VM that makes use of these so I've held off moving this VM for now. Ideally, I would like to move these "as is" to the new machine.

Is there a safe way of doing this keeping the data intact, or a way to copy the config for these drives within Proxmox to the new machine?

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited:
Can I give this a bump.
Really the question is how to move an existing ZFS pool (physical disk/disks and config) from one machine to another?

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks a lot. Dead easy in the end. Took all of 5 minutes.
Just did a zpool export and an import on the new machine.
Was nothing to setup, even the mount points all worked unchanged.

Cheers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!