Proxmox Install - SSD not Detected

xuzito

Oct 20, 2021
Hi there,

I'm new on Proxmox and I'm installing it on my Dell R720 server.

I have only one Samsung SSD 870 disk on it and Proxmox didn't recognize this disk.

The iDRAC is showing the disk as Active and looks good.

I tried a couple of things (youtube video, etc) no luck.

Does anyone know how to sort it out? thanks!

Attachments

• idrac.png
    idrac.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 40
  • proxmox.png
    proxmox.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 36
Not sure about your SSD but you shound't install PVE on a USB stick. PVE will write around 30GB per day and it doesn't take long until your USB stick will die. Can lsblk find your SSD? If its attached to a HW raid controller you might need to boot into that controller and manage your drives first so they can be accessed by the host.

Reactions: xuzito
Not sure about your SSD but you shound't install PVE on a USB stick. PVE will write around 30GB per day and it doesn't take long until your USB stick will die. Can lsblk find your SSD? If its attached to a HW raid controller you might need to boot into that controller and manage your drives first so they can be accessed by the host.
Thanks for helping.

Ok, do you reckon to install it directly to the SSD instead?

I didn't find the option to select the SSD when I was installing the Proxmox, only the USB stick.

Yes, it is on the RAID controller (port 0). What's the recommended config on the RAID controller to install it?

Last edited:
You can look if that raid controller got a HBA or IT-Mode. That way it will work without raid as a stupid SATA/SAS controller. If that isn't working you could try a JBOD. If that isn't working a raid0 with just one disk. Also keep in mind that sometimes you won't be able to boot from a disk that is attached to a HW raid controller. To enter the HW raid controllers setup menu there should be a key combination you need to press while booting.

Last edited:
Reactions: xuzito
You can look if that raid controller got a HBA or IT-Mode. That way it will work without raid as a stupid SATA/SAS controller. If that isn't working you could try a JBOD. If that isn't working a raid0 with just one disk. Also keep in mind that sometimes you won't be able to boot from a disk that is attached to a HW raid controller. To enter the HW raid controllers setup menu there should be a key combination you need to press while booting.
Yeah, my server is using PERC H710Mini and it doesn't have the feature HBA or IT-Mode.

I found an article about Dell R720 Flashing Dell PERC H710 Mini into IT Mode

Looks like I do have to make my hands dirty to do that :/

thanks!

Just to report that this tutorial works and now I can see the disk in there! Thanks for helping!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!