Windows 10 VM only showing 1 Socket and 4 cores.

Can you post the output of following

1 lscpu of the proxmox server

Also in VM do the following

- Click Start and search for msconfig.
- Select System Configuration.
- In the Boot tab, click on Advanced Options.
- You should see an option to set the number of cores. Change this to the correct amount, click OK then reboot.

or

Press Windows key + R
type msconfig

Hit Enter
Select the boot tab
Select advanced options
Uncheck Number processors
Click OK and reboot the VM

Here is what the Boot Advanced shows currently, have not made changes to it.

lscpu on the host:

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
Address sizes: 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s): 32
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-31
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 8
Socket(s): 2
NUMA node(s): 2
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 45
Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 0 @ 2.20GHz
Stepping: 7
CPU MHz: 1686.853
CPU max MHz: 3000.0000
CPU min MHz: 1200.0000
BogoMIPS: 4389.17
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 20480K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-7,16-23
NUMA node1 CPU(s): 8-15,24-31
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm epb pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-13 104404.png
    Annotation 2020-08-13 104404.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 32
There was no core options, only number of processors which I set to 2 since I have 2 sockets currently configured. It is unable to boot currently, trying to get in with the iso to reset that back. This was only a temporary vm while I wait on a replacement system and it has been a pain from the beginning.

Thanks oguz, yes i also doubt that and i am sure when i change it to Linux it will be resolved just before reinstalling everything i wanted to confirm whether there is a change to make it working from Proxmox side or its kind of a bug or doing-something-wrong kind of a thing. Thanks testing @zepcs.

After getting it to finally boot, it shows 1 socket and 2 cores but finally shows Sandy Bridge as the model. Going to revert the change and see what happens.

ok Guys i have a good news. when i assing vcpu from Advance tab (in CPU settings from Hardward section in proxmox dashboard) it just work. now i dont know if this is windows or virtualization issue. though it is working

Reactions: oguz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!