Plex inside VM causes Proxmox host to freeze

kprox1

Oct 13, 2021
Hello,

I'm encountering this weird problem where my entire Proxmox host freezes shortly after I start the plexmediaserver Service inside a VM. (It's reproducible)
Sometimes the host freezes after a few minutes, sometimes seconds thereafter. Without the plex service running, everything runs smoothly without crashes whatsoever.

By freezing, I mean that the host becomes completely unreponsive (inlcuding all VMs of course).
Its not responding over the network and when I plug in an HDMI cable to access the console, my monitor does not detect anything.
I tried plugging in the cable before a crash occures (which works) to see whats going on in dmesg, but the screen just becomes green when the system freezes.
Even weirder, the CPU fan is usually continously adjusting its speed (managed by the bios?), but when the freeze occurs, its also "stuck" at the same speed.
So i figure the entire system gets stuck somehow.
Only a hard reset by pressing the power button reboots the system.

I already tried the steps described here (setting aio=none and installing the amd64-microcode on the host), but it didn't help.

System Specs:
GigaByte Brix BRR7H-4800 (rev 1.0) (latest BIOS update is installed)
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U
Proxmox VE 7.0-13
Kernel: Linux brix01 5.11.22-5-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.11.22-10 (Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:15:41 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I don't really know how to troubleshoot the problem to figure out what's actually causing the freeze/crash,
but I feel like starting a Service in a VM should not be capable to cause this.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!