Proxmox windows cloud-init password problem after upgrade

foadk

Mar 25, 2020
Hello everyone.
I have created a VM using windows 2019 cloud-init image on PVE 6.3 and everything works fine.
Now I make a change in hardware, for example upgrading ram. after stop / start operation, the password which had been set previously by cloud init, would not work and I cannot login into VM.
One thing to consider, is that there is no problem after just stop and start, and there should be an upgrade first in resources to make that error occur.

Last edited:
I have the same problem,
The password of all VMs which has cloudinit device, will be reset after each change in hardware specs.
Any help from Proxmox team or others would be highly appreciated.

Hello everyone.
I have created a VM using windows 2019 cloud-init image on PVE 6.3 and everything works fine.
Now I make a change in hardware, for example upgrading ram. after stop / start operation, the password which had been set previously by cloud init, would not work and I cannot login into VM.
One thing to consider, is that there is no problem after just stop and start, and there should be an upgrade first in resources to make that error occur.
Hi,

i see (through your previous posts) that you've managed to get cloudbase-init to work (or partially).

I'm in the process of achieving the same but struggle to get DNS & password inserted.
Adjusted the conf file to insert the NetworkConfigPlugin & SetUserPasswordPlugin
Only the IP and hostname get applied.

Did you manage to get this done?

Thanks a million

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!