Firewall rules for NFS

chrisb1

Aug 14, 2021
Hi,
my proxmox host and my NAS are in separate VLANs. I want to give proxmox access to the NAS via NFSv4 (e.g. for backups and ISOs) with a minimalistic allow rule.
As far as I know NFSv4 uses only TCP port 2049 (which I opened).
On the shell I can connect just fine:
Bash:
mount qnap.bla:/Proxmox ./test/
But when trying to configure a storage within the Web GUI of proxmox I can't get any connection.
pfSense tells me, that proxmox is trying to contact port 445 (TCP) via IPv4 and 111 (TCP) via IPv6. Changing the advanced settings explicitly to NFSv4 doesn't help.

Whats the reason, that the connect works perfectly on the shell but not via the web GUI?

Thanks

There is no option to choose SMB ;) See screenshot, that's my current config.
It's working as soon as I open the TCP ports 2049, 111, 445 and 30000.

You can read here, that one of the features of NFSv4 is, that only one port is needed (2049) and therefore simplified firewall rules are possible ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System#NFSv4

And as said before: accessing the share via shell is also possible, if only port 2049 is open

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-14 um 22.28.43.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!