Firewall rules for PVE cluster and VMs storage traffic

trigg3r

Aug 3, 2019
In my test environment I build a small PVE cluster: 2 nodes, both with 4 NICs connected to:

NIC1: 192.168.1.0 LAN
NIC2: 192.168.5.0 subnet dedicated to VMs backup traffic
NIC3: 192.168.6.0 subnet dedicated to PVE VMs NFS storage (a NAS share)
NIC4: 192.168.7.0 subnet dedicated to PVE cluster

I want to enable Proxmox firewall features, so: what are the suggested firewall configuration for "PVE cluster" and "VMs storage" traffic?

TIA!

Thanks ph0x!

Related to cluster subnet: the PVE firewall documentation says:
"
Standard IP Alias local_network
The firewall automatically sets up rules to allow everything needed for cluster communication (corosync, API, SSH) using this alias.

"

But in my case the cluster subnet (192.168.7.0) is not the auto detect local network (192.168.1.0). So, I see 2 ways to solve this:

1) create all the firewall rules for 192.168.7.0 nodes (based on "Ports used by Proxmox VE")

2) override local_network aliases:
[ALIASES]
local_network 192.168.7.0/24

It seems to me that 2) is preferable. Do you agree with me?

Last edited:
I did it with the other solution. I rather have such stuff under control than rely on builtin stuff which might change over time or have some other implications that I don't know about.
But I guess your way is also possible.

I made some tests and it seem to me that this is the minimum configuration to have the cluster working on 192.168.7.0 subnet and administration services (ssh, web interface) working on 192.168.1.0 subnet:

[OPTIONS]

enable: 1

[ALIASES]

local_network 192.168.7.0/24

[IPSET management]

192.168.1.0/24

(and I don't really understand what is the cluster_network alias mentioned in the documentation ...)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!