Proxmox Backup CLI tool available in CentOS, Fedora, Suse, etc.

alebeta

Mar 20, 2018
gonkar.com
Hi friends,

I had been in the need to test the Proxmox Backup CLI solution on CentOS and Fedora. But it was not possible at the moment to do so, because the official package is available at the moment for Debian. For sure in the future Proxmox will provide us with the package for other Linux Distros. But at the moment I came up with a container which provide us with the backup cli tool. This way we can backup files in different Linux OS and maybe windows(with docker).

The basic command to perform a backup would be:

podman run -i --rm -v /home/john:/mydata -e PBS_PASSWORD -e PBS_FINGERPRINT --security-opt label=disable quay.io/alebeta/proxmox-backup-cli:latest backup backup.pxar:/mydata/ --repository myuser@pbs@pbs-server:backup01

For further information about the usage of the container you could visit the repo at https://github.com/alebeta90/proxmox-backup-cli-container

If you have any suggestion you can create a PR in the repository or write here in a comment.

Kind Regards,

simply cloning and doing 'cargo build --release' should also work to create a binary (e.g., what AUR is doing) on most somewhat recent linux distros..

simply cloning and doing 'cargo build --release' should also work to create a binary

That could also easily be done via Docker, just build the binary in a container.

Maybe this could or would be a good point to use the releases feature of the recently acquired proxmox github account? The GitHub infrastructure can build binaries for various architectures and also packages for linux distributions. With GitHub, you don't need a special in-house build infrastructure.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!