[SOLVED] Wireguard CT on Proxmox 6.2-4

Bart Smith

Oct 7, 2020
Netherlands
Hello,
I am trying to install Wireguard on an CT with Debian 10, and it horribly fails due to Proxmox missing PVE-headers...... again.
I tried the options mentioned here on the forums and from Nix vs Evil, both fail.

I installed the backport repo.
On proxmox the "apt install pve-headers" comes with an error package not found.
Doing a modprobe results in:
Code:
modprobe: FATAL: Module wireguard not found in directory /lib/modules/5.4.34-1-pve

Anyone got wireguard up and running on the Current Proxmox version ?

Anyone got wireguard up and running on the Current Proxmox version ?
I have it running. Just not in a container. ;) Too much to break for a CT to get it running.

In general, I'd argue that it doesn't make much sense to have a wireguard interface inside a CT. Why do you want it inside a CT?

I also tried to run it in a VM, but i had the same error message about the headers.
I like the CT structure as it uses less resources and boots lightning fast :)
Also the Turnkey images are handy to do a fast deploy of LAMP and sorts, I view them as Docker but better :)

I'll try the VM way again, do i need to keep things in mind like OS, VM settings ?

thanks,

Reactions: Ansy
I also tried to run it in a VM, but i had the same error message about the headers.
Wireguard was included into the kernel in a later version. You will need to build it.

I like the CT structure as it uses less resources and boots lightning fast :)
Also the Turnkey images are handy to do a fast deploy of LAMP and sorts, I view them as Docker but better :)
But they do run with the same host kernel. And the wireguard is loaded by the host kernel. Any issue and it will halt the node, not just a VM.

Hello Alwin,
Thank you for your fast replay and support.

I created a VM running Ubuntu 20.10 server install, did a apt update/upgrade and installed Wireguard.
I followed the guide of Lawrence Systems, he has a great video explaining the installation and a forum post to copy/paste it all.

Thanks again for the help.

I'm interested in WireGuard too... just because of its' light and fast clients for Android comparing with OpenVPN.
If exists, it would be best to have some HOWTO for PVE+WireGuard setup.

Last edited:
If you want the small size and fast boot of most CT, but in a VM use Alpine linux 3.12 as the base VM. Then install and setup wireguard there.
Can run as a full VM with 256 MiB ram and a bootdisk size of less than 1 GiB

I'm interested in WireGuard too... just because of its' light and fast clients for Android comparing with OpenVPN.
If exists, it would be best to have some HOWTO for PVE+WireGuard setup.
The video and forum post i liked will help you, not sure if anyone can make it easier.

Reactions: Ansy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!