encrypted backup restore

Half-Ogre

Renowned Member
Dec 17, 2014
Hi all,seems im screwed)Have backup on PBS,reinstalled PVE host from scratch,now i cant restore VMs and have no backup of encryption keys left.
Will try to scan and recover but chances are near 0.
Any workaround for this case?As always not too much time to fix.
Thanks in advance.

if your backups are encrypted and you do not have (a copy of) your encryption key, you cannot decrypt them. that's the point of encryption.

Reactions: grepler
Okay its my fault and in my case backups are RIP.Usually its tied to password or have recovery options.Yep it has warning in manual but it should be more in GUI.One checkbox when you add PBS to PVE server and all encrypted.Fail PVE host=fail backup.Button please for master-recovery-key download from web ui.

there are recovery options - there is proxmox-backup-client key paperkey, and a master key mechanism for storing encrypted encryption keys on the PBS server.

Those are pre-fail options, and a case when PVE install screwed is more than theoretical.And in that scenario you have backup, but you dont have it)))Im trying to provide some feedback to improve the system while it in beta.Untrusted encrypted destination for backup should be optional and not enabled by default, without proper explanations and warnings in UI its a shoot in own leg.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!