How to clone zfs snapshot to new zvol on new pool

totalimpact

Renowned Member
Dec 12, 2010
I have 3 pools:

VMdata: Main pool with zvols for VMs, daily snapshots running here
Backup: Backup pool where snapshots get replicated (Sanoid)
Pool3: Other empty pool

I want to clone a VM from snapshots on the Backup pool to Pool3, without affecting anything on the main pool. I want to spin up that VM as a clone while original VM remains in use on main pool. Its about 500gb of data, I verified the snapshots are there for the date needed on my backup pool.

What is the best way to clone those snapshots from the backup pool to a new complete zvol on Pool3, do I need to first replicate the snapshots with zfssend to pool3, then clone it?

I just did a zfs send | receive of the snapshot I wanted, and was able to directly access the zvol there on the new pool

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!