[SOLVED] One Server with two NIC's, each in a LACP bond, kills the switch?

LBX_Blackjack

Jul 24, 2020
Hello,

I am trying to set up our PVE node on the network and am having an issue I've been thus far unsuccessful in resolving.
The node has two NIC's with multiple ports (1-4, and 5-8), which I've set up for LACP resulting in two bonds (bond0, and bond1). The goal is that bond1 (ports 5-8 / the second NIC) will act as a failover for bond0 (ports 1-4 / the first NIC). Everything works fine when only bond0's ports are plugged into our switch, but within a few seconds of plugging in the ports of bond1, the switch becomes unresponsive, the server's fans go full-speed, and PVE says that each port's speed has been set to 0.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Do I need spanning tree? Do the bonds need to be bonded to each other in round-robin? Please let me know what information I can provide to help diagnose this issue.

Last edited:
Yes, from what you write this is most likely a spanning-tree issue.
So in that scenario, you want to enable spanning-tree on your bonds and switch.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!