[SOLVED] Boot issue NVME HP SSD EX 900 with pve-5.4.55-1-pve

irattarto

Aug 26, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded the system (and kernel got updated too) to pve-kernel-5.4.55-1-pve
But it does not find root zfs anymore. If boot to previous kernel it works. I even tried reinstall, and afther upgrade the same problem.

1598431953373.png

If i try to manually import, no pool found.

seems the pool could not be imported - maybe related to a missing/corrupt cache file...

what's the output of:
`zpool import`
(run in the initramfs shell)

do you see the disk where rpool is supposed to be on in the output of `blkid` or `lsblk` (not sure if all of them are available) or in `ls -laR /dev`?

I read somewhere that HP EX 900 SSD had issues with the controller of the SSD drive, but in older kernels, and in theoretically it is fixed...
With other (previous) kernel it just boots fine for me (but maybe finaly it will be only inside the 5.5?). Do not find the link again.

Hmm - if you can boot into older kernels - you could try to narrow down until which version it works (just install the pve-kernel packages and see from when it does not boot)

Additionally - are there maybe any firmware upgrades available for your system or the SSD? - This can help in such situations

Hmm - if you can boot into older kernels - you could try to narrow down until which version it works (just install the pve-kernel packages and see from when it does not boot)
Only the current version 5.4.55-1-pve does this. All other previous I tested works.

anything in the `dmesg` output when booting into 5.4.55-1, which might indicate what the problem is?
(if possible compare to the dmesg output of 5.4.44-2)

Well the difference related to the nvme drive and dmesg I found:

Working kernel:
[ 3.396539] nvme nvme0: missing or invalid SUBNQN field. [ 3.405780] nvme nvme0: allocated 64 MiB host memory buffer. [ 3.436120] nvme nvme0: 15/0/0 default/read/poll queues [ 3.443329] nvme nvme0: Identify Descriptors failed (2) [ 3.445452] nvme nvme0: Identify Descriptors failed (2) [ 3.446815] nvme0n1: p1 p2 p3

And 5.4.55-1-pve
[ 3.402276] nvme nvme0: missing or invalid SUBNQN field. [ 3.411731] nvme nvme0: allocated 64 MiB host memory buffer. [ 3.441636] nvme nvme0: 15/0/0 default/read/poll queues [ 3.448693] nvme nvme0: Identify Descriptors failed (2)

I did not find other difference, but seems the new kernel does not handle the device well.
BIOS update did nothing, I look for nvme firmware update.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!