[SOLVED] Problem with QEMU Agent and Windows 2019 Server

sbazin

Sep 17, 2019
Hello,

I have a problem with qemu-guest-agent and Windows 2019 Server.

On the server :

Get-Service QEMU-GA

Status Name DisplayName
------ ---- -----------
Running QEMU-GA QEMU Guest Agent

When I test the qemu guest-agent since my proxmox server :

qm agent 119 ping
QEMU guest agent is not running

Proxmox Version : pve-manager/6.1-5/9bf06119 (running kernel: 5.3.13-1-pve)
Windows Version : Windows 2019 Standard 1809

Thanks for your support

Steve

Hi, do you have the latest version of the Agent installed? I could fix a couple of these problems by making sure it wa the most recent version running...

Hello. Thanks for your response. The version is 100.0.0. It seems it is the last version.

works here. remove the agent inside window and install it again, maybe this helps.

I'm having the same problem with one 2012 R2 standard machine. I've tried everything but it still doesn't work. How can we debug somehow why it is not working?

I'm wondering. Is this Qemu Agent necessary?
I have two VM Servers running. Windows Server 2019 and Windows Server 2016 Essentials.
The WIndows 2019 was backing up okay using the new PVE PBS Beta version.
On the other hand, the Windows 2016 Essentials kept getting an error.
ERROR: PBS backups are not supported by the running QEMU version. Please make sure you've installed the latest version and the VM has been restarted.
ERROR: Backup of VM 100 failed - PBS backups are not supported by the running QEMU version. Please make sure you've installed the latest version and the VM has been restarted.

I tried reinstalling the Qemu Guest Agent as recommended here.
However, I noticed the Windows Server 2019 isn't even running a Qemu Guest Agent even though it is enabled.
Anyways, I shut it down after reinstalling, I though I would start it with Qemu Agent disabled in Proxmox and then restart it enabled afterwards.
Tried backing up when it was disabled and it seems to be running. Paused the VM and kept going on.
Odd behaviour.

Anyways I was trying to reinstall the Qemu Guest Agent, but keep getting an error now.

There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package.A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.

Last edited:
+1 for downloading the latest virtio drivers; it fixed my issue with the agent on 2012R2.
I grabbed the driver file '189
virtio-win-0.1.189.iso

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!