Intel ax300 with proxmox and pfsense

pjgowtham

Aug 26, 2019
I have the intel ax300 wireless pcie card i am trying to setup a wireless AP with the setup that i have.

I have setup DHCP on pfsense and i would require the wireless AP to use the DHCP from pfsense instead of creating an entirely new subnetwork in the name of hotspot.
I also wont be able to passthrough the card to pfsense due to the lack of support for it in FreeBSD. However i am using qcom atheros card by pcie passthrough for 2.5ghz and it works really well.

I require some tips on how to handle creating an AP in proxmox ( It appears there are multiple ways to do it and i am struggling to debate which one to use) and how to link it to the bridge (vmbr0) in my case which is already setup with pfsense.

Pfsense LAN address 192.168.1.1
Proxmox LAN address 192.168.1.2

My last resort is to move to a linux based router firewall since wireless support is amazing with linux. However i am going to try my best to stick with pfsense that i already have.

Please let me know if you require additional information.

Hi,

as you say Linux based router is better with WLan support.
I would recommend you an OpenWRT[1] with PCIe passthrough.
1.) https://openwrt.org/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!