tcp/8007

Ansy

Dec 20, 2018
Beta is so beta...

There is no any note in documentation describing what URL or port is used by Proxmox Backup Server :(

I've spent all my evening trying to manage PBS (installed via apt-get on my PVE server) via ProxmoxVE (!) web-interface (tcp/8006) instead of... until I've feel it weird and guessed to look into ss -nlp output...

Please feel free to use: https://yourPBS-IP-or-Name:8007

Right SSL fingerprint is available on this dashboard button too.

Please, don't thank me ;)

And in the "Installation finished" dialog of the installer.

TTY message looks like this, should be relatively clear:
Screenshot_2020-07-13 nina - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

In general ss -tulpn is always one easy accessible friend to find out what services listen on which ports :)

Reading closely seems to be cursed in this thread ;)

In general ss -tulpn is always one easy accessible friend to find out what services listen on which ports :)

Anyway, thanks to the original reporter to shine lights on this issue, and even if there are good tools at hand which can be used to find out what service is running on which port, it definitively makes sense to take note of this in the documentation:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=proxmox-...ff;h=34389132d99a910954ceba2329ac4606b7d45430

Or, as netstat isn't installed that often nowadays, you can use ss -tulpn.
I'm still fighting that change and using ifconfig and netstat. esp the ifconfig change is weird, since that is very widely used in other unises. ss sounds like a bad compromise between sockstat(BSD) and the 2 letter ip.

Devs, why you decided to don't use 8006 as other PVE products? We need set other port in fw/proxy etc solutions due this...

Reactions: iprigger and flames
Please please!

Add special PBS button to fast open PBS web interface (if installed) instantly from PVE web interface, somewere near Datacenter-Backup and Datacenter-Storage.

Thanks in advance.

Just use browser bookmarks? Or two open tabs? I open tabs and pin them for relevant, often used machines.
That is way quicker than some hacked in button somewhere in the GUI, where you even may need to navigate to first, anyway.

Just use browser bookmarks? Or two open tabs? I open tabs and pin them for relevant, often used machines.
That is way quicker than some hacked in button somewhere in the GUI, where you even may need to navigate to first, anyway.
Of course, I have already 20+pinned tabs (6 of them are ProxmoxVE) and sometimes 400+ others open. But I have no space for them more -- just for another service on the same host.

IMHO PBS (for now) is not so hard loaded service to monitor it continuosly. I can copy-paste URL, change port and reopen, but look, I have two PVE hosts in different geolocation for my project and keep backups locally on HDD and across between them. It'll be comfortable to monitor two PVE tabs and just look into PBSs sometimes nightly. Thats for I need a button -- we almost have some of it in PBS storage drop selection, but no button to quickly open PBS full web interface.

For such personalized use cases I'd still suggest using bookmarks, you can add tags to them so a CTRL+T and (maybe) "pbs" as tag is really fast. Another option could be to use something like greasemonkey/tampermonkey to add one yourself.

For now, we won't add such a button - we'll certainly see how to better integrate Proxmox Backup Server into Proxmox VE, though, possibly in the storage summary view.

Reactions: Ansy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!