Nested virtualization inside PVE

michallukas

Apr 20, 2020
Hello Proxmox family,

I have problem with nested virtualization and I’d like to kindly ask you if maybe someone of you already solved it.
  • Dell Precision M4800 (Intel)
  • Pve-manager/6.1-8/806edfe1 (running kernel: 5.3.18-3-pve)
    1.png
The problem which I'm trying to fix for weeks:
  • Installing Windows Server 2012 (I tried different OS as well) with this config file and disable Hyper-V by command > bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
    2.png
  • Into WS2012 install VMWare Workstation 14
  • Create new VM in VMWare with enable VT-x and run VM = VMWare Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMWare Workstation.
  • If I add argument into config of the VM > args: -cpu host,+svm so I got new error > Virtualized intel vt-x/EPT is not supported on this platform. Contine withouot virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT?
    3.jpg

Do you have please an idea where I made mistake?

Thanks a lot!
Michal

Last edited:
This is not a Proxmox VE issue, you try to run hyper-V and vmware workstation inside your windows, this cannot work.

Remove hyper-v role in your windows and try again.

This is not a Proxmox VE issue, you try to run hyper-V and vmware workstation inside your windows, this cannot work.

Remove hyper-v role in your windows and try again.

Thank you Tom for your fast reply.

Sorry, I didn't mention that I already disabled Hyper-V at all by command > bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

I added into my topic.

Thanks,
Michal

I tried now ESXi 6.7 instead of WS2016 + VMWare and the problem is the same. It looks like that my PVE is misconfigured. Maybe someone already fixed?

1.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Michal

Which physical CPU do you use?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz

In the past I was able to run on this laptop > Win10 > VMWare Workstation > Windows Server with Hyper-V role > Windows 7. Basically 3 level virtualization, so it should work with PVE as well, I hope...

I don't want to go back to non PVE hypervisor at all! I like it a lot!!!

1.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 21.46.34.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!