FreeNAS VM graceful shutdown

nosuch

Jul 5, 2019
I recently installed FreeNAS as a VM and it works fine along with PCIe passthrough of an HBA. However when I try to shut down the container it does not appear to be passing the command to FreeNAS. Do I need to install something like qemu-agent to make that work?

The other issue I have is that when I shutdown FreeNAS from within the web or console UI it reboots itself after. Anyone have a solution for this?

Hi,

if you have no qemu-guest-agent installed the VM gets an ACPI call to shutdown.
Ensure that the option "ACPI support" is activated or when you have activated the "QEMU Guest Agent" open that it is installed.

Is there a qemu guest agent for FreeBSD? I realize I should do the same on my pfSense VM as it will likely have the same issue. Otherwise is the ACPI option you're referring to an option on the host somewhere or on the guest OS (FreeNAS)?

Thanks, I'll watch for FreeNAS 12. Is the ACPI option something I need to enable in ProxMox, FreeNAS or both?

ACPI is default enabled.
PFSense is listening to ACPI call and shutdown.
I don't know what FreeNAS does.

Just to follow up on this thread. I have found setting the cpu type to qemu64 works well for getting the latest TrueNAS 12 to shutdown gracefully.

It seems to work also with this cpu settings: 2 (1 sockets, 2 cores) [max,flags=+md-clear;-pcid;+spec-ctrl;+ssbd;+pdpe1gb;+aes] and without qemu-guest-agent

Done some testing. On my platform (PVE 7.1 on Coffee Lake I5-8400 @ 2800) I found that the most stable, safe and performant config is: [Skylake-Client-noTSX-IBRS,flags=+md-clear;+spec-ctrl;+ssbd;+pdpe1gb;+aes]

With passmark cpu on ubuntu linux VM it has performance close to host passthrough.

On my HP Z230 (i7-4790, Haswell), I use:

1 socket, 2 cores [Haswell-noTSX-IBRS,flags=+md-clear;+spec-ctrl;+ssbd;+pdpe1gb;+aes]

Works okay so far for start and ACPI shutdown, i.e. for Proxmox upgrades.

Would be great if this could be copied off the Proxmox screen! I had to manually type it in here…

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!