[SOLVED] Multiqueue inside of VM

dthompson

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
www.digitaltransitions.ca
From the help section:

Multiqueue

If you are using the VirtIO driver, you can optionally activate the Multiqueue option. This option allows the guest OS to process networking packets using multiple virtual CPUs, providing an increase in the total number of packets transferred.
When using the VirtIO driver with Proxmox VE, each NIC network queue is passed to the host kernel, where the queue will be processed by a kernel thread spawned by the vhost driver. With this option activated, it is possible to pass multiplenetwork queues to the host kernel for each NIC.
When using Multiqueue, it is recommended to set it to a value equal to the number of Total Cores of your guest. You also need to set in the VM the number of multi-purpose channels on each VirtIO NIC with the ethtool command:

ethtool -L ens1 combined X

where X is the number of the number of vcpus of the VM.
You should note that setting the Multiqueue parameter to a value greater than one will increase the CPU load on the host and guest systems as the traffic increases. We recommend to set this option only when the VM has to process a great number of incoming connections, such as when the VM is running as a router, reverse proxy or a busy HTTP server doing long polling.

When I am setting this up inside of a firewall thats has multiple VLANS attached to it, do I need to add this on each vlan?

So for instance, do I need to do the following:

ethtool -L eth0 combined 8

But then do I also need to add this to all the VLANS as well:
ethtool -L eth0.10 combined 8
ethtool -L eth0.100 combined 8
ethtool -L eth0.101 combined 8
...etc...

Its not clear (to me) if this needs to be set for just the physical NIC or for the physical NIC and the VLANs as well.
Thank you.

From the help section:

When I am setting this up inside of a firewall thats has multiple VLANS attached to it, do I need to add this on each vlan?

So for instance, do I need to do the following:

ethtool -L eth0 combined 8

But then do I also need to add this to all the VLANS as well:
ethtool -L eth0.10 combined 8
ethtool -L eth0.100 combined 8
ethtool -L eth0.101 combined 8
...etc...

Its not clear (to me) if this needs to be set for just the physical NIC or for the physical NIC and the VLANs as well.

Not to be set for <nic>.<vlan> - it's a "physical" (even if it's virtually physical) attribute and has to be set only for the NIC itself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!