[SOLVED] Proxmox Hetzner and Vlans Oh My!!!

thefuzz4

Feb 18, 2020
So I'm new to proxmox, I'm wanting to move over from VMWare. As a lets figure this out thing I ordered up 2 hosts from Hetzner as my current host lives there. Setup the VSwitch with them gave it a vlan of 4002. As I understand eventually I'll need a subnet assigned to my vswitch for external IP reasons but for now I'm not worried about it.

What I want to be able to accomplish today is have two way communication between Host A and Host B.

I've read every post I can find on here about how to do it and I've looked at everyone's config files that they've shared but I'm still not able to ping host a to b. I don't get it.

Code:
### Hetzner Online GmbH installimage

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface lo inet6 loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet static
  address PublicIP
  netmask 255.255.255.192
  gateway 178.63.82.129
  # route 178.63.82.128/26 via 178.63.82.129
  up route add -net 178.63.82.128 netmask 255.255.255.192 gw 178.63.82.129 dev eno1

iface eno1 inet6 static
  address 2a01:4f8:121:32fd::2
  netmask 64
  gateway fe80::1

auto eno1.4002
iface eno1.4002 inet manual
  vlan-raw-device eno1
  mtu 1400

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
  address 172.16.0.2
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  bridge_ports eno1.4002
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 0

My other host looks the same except for the IPs obviously. I appreciate all of the help I can get with this.

Edit: Ultimately I'd also like to be able to have the VMs and containers talk to each other here as well over the vlan but for now I"ll take it as a win if I can just get the hosts to communicate.

Hi,

Does Heztzner support VLAN?

Yeah there are other threads on here about people with their setups and I've followed all of those guides to no avail.

Thank you for your help.

Ok so the good news is that I managed to finally get the hosts to talk to each other over the VSwitch by adding the Private IP as the destination in Hetzner firewall. Phew that bit is good.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the VMs on the hosts to be able to talk to each other.

Continuing with my progress. I setup the hack to set the mtu to 1400 on the virtio interface. I understand I'll have to probably redo this after any updates.

Problems that are left:
1. Guests on host #2 will not pull an IP from the PFSense VM on host #1. If I set a static IP then it works just fine but DHCP is a no go.
2. I have no internet connection to the outside world at all. I am completely baffled here as to why my internet just will not work.

Turns out that issue #2 listed above was because of the fact that I'm using the Hetzner firewall. I intend to remove this once I have things working the way I want.

So now to figure out why DHCP requests do not work.

Problem solved it was all related to me using the Hetzner firewall. I've disabled the firewall on both of my hosts and all is right in the world.

Problem solved it was all related to me using the Hetzner firewall. I've disabled the firewall on both of my hosts and all is right in the world.
My setup is quite similar, but I'm stuck. I just want my VMs to be able to use the Public IPs that are assigned to the vSwitch. Can you please take a look and give me a hand here? Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!