CPU options for Meltdown/Spectre when choosing explicit CPU-model or "host"

Afox

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hello,

do I still need to activate the CPU options to mitigate Meltdown/Spectre although I chose a concrete CPU-model, e.g. Westmere?

Would the answer change if I choose "host"?

If a manual activation is necessary, is there any resource (like a table) on what to enable for the different CPU-models?

Thanks in advance,

Afox

Hello,

do I still need to activate the CPU options to mitigate Meltdown/Spectre although I chose a concrete CPU-model, e.g. Westmere?

yes, unless that CPU model already includes the flag you want to activate

Would the answer change if I choose "host"?

host passes through the CPU from the hypervisor including all flags.

If a manual activation is necessary, is there any resource (like a table) on what to enable for the different CPU-models?

you can check inside the VM (e.g., with spectre-meltdown-checker)

Thank you for the answer.

I ran the script inside the VM and there are 5 points shown as vulnerable and one as unknown:

CVE-2018-3646 aka 'Foreshadow-NG (VMM), L1 terminal fault'
* Information from the /sys interface: Mitigation: PTE Inversion
* This system is a host running a hypervisor: YES
* Mitigation 1 (KVM)
* EPT is disabled: N/A (the kvm_intel module is not loaded)
* Mitigation 2
* L1D flush is supported by kernel: YES (found flush_l1d in kernel image)
* L1D flush enabled: UNKNOWN (unrecognized mode)
* Hardware-backed L1D flush supported: NO (flush will be done in software, this is slower)
* Hyper-Threading (SMT) is enabled: NO
> STATUS: VULNERABLE (disable EPT or enable L1D flushing to mitigate the vulnerability)

CVE-2018-12126 aka 'Fallout, microarchitectural store buffer data sampling (MSBDS)'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface: NO (Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT Host state unknown)
* Kernel supports using MD_CLEAR mitigation: YES (found md_clear implementation evidence in kernel image)
* Kernel mitigation is enabled and active: NO
* SMT is either mitigated or disabled: NO
> STATUS: VULNERABLE (Your kernel supports mitigation, but your CPU microcode also needs to be updated to mitigate the vulnerability)

CVE-2018-12130 aka 'ZombieLoad, microarchitectural fill buffer data sampling (MFBDS)'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface: NO (Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT Host state unknown)
* Kernel supports using MD_CLEAR mitigation: YES (found md_clear implementation evidence in kernel image)
> STATUS: VULNERABLE (Your kernel supports mitigation, but your CPU microcode also needs to be updated to mitigate the vulnerability)

CVE-2018-12127 aka 'RIDL, microarchitectural load port data sampling (MLPDS)'

CVE-2019-11091 aka 'RIDL, microarchitectural data sampling uncacheable memory (MDSUM)'

CVE-2018-12207 aka 'No eXcuses, iTLB Multihit, machine check exception on page size changes (MCEPSC)'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface: UNKNOWN (KVM: Vulnerable)
* This system is a host running a hypervisor: YES
* iTLB Multihit mitigation is supported by kernel: YES (found itlb_multihit in kernel image)
* iTLB Multihit mitigation enabled and active: NO
> STATUS: UNKNOWN (KVM: Vulnerable)

Host is a Westmere CPU.

Regards,

Afox

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!