noVNC Keyboard input Issue

@Chris I have been using 1.1.0-1
Holding shift for about 4 seconds locks shift as active. Holding shift again for ~4 seconds then unlocks it.

The problems exist with that version, too. This is an annoying bug. Does anyone have a work around until there is a solution? I can't get anything done at the moment.

I believe 3~6 seconds is more accurate with Left-Shift

It would seem Left-Ctrl key is doing the same thing. This is even more annoying than Left-Shift as it will start taking using your key strokes as hotkeys.

This does appear to be resolved in pve-qemu-kvm: 4.0.1-3

I earlier reported that it wasn't working in this latest version but after rebooting I am not seeing this problem anymore.

Last edited:
I earlier reported that it wasn't working in this latest version but after rebooting I am not seeing this problem anymore.
yes, one has to shutdown and start the vm again to run it with the new qemu binary (live migration to an updated host would also have worked)

Hello there!
I have the same issue in this version:

proxmox-ve: 6.2-1 (running kernel: 5.4.34-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.2-4 (running version: 6.2-4/9824574a)
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.2-1
pve-kernel-helper: 6.2-1
pve-kernel-5.4.34-1-pve: 5.4.34-2
ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1+b1
corosync: 3.0.3-pve1
criu: 3.11-3
glusterfs-client: 5.5-3
ifupdown: 0.8.35+pve1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libknet1: 1.15-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.0.3
libpve-access-control: 6.1-1
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.0-3
libpve-common-perl: 6.1-2
libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.0-10
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.0-5
libpve-storage-perl: 6.1-7
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
libspice-server1: 0.14.2-4~pve6+1
lvm2: 2.03.02-pve4
lxc-pve: 4.0.2-1
lxcfs: 4.0.3-pve2
novnc-pve: 1.1.0-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.2-1
pve-cluster: 6.1-8
pve-container: 3.1-5
pve-docs: 6.2-4
pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20200229-1
pve-firewall: 4.1-2
pve-firmware: 3.1-1
pve-ha-manager: 3.0-9
pve-i18n: 2.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 5.0.0-2
pve-xtermjs: 4.3.0-1
qemu-server: 6.2-2
smartmontools: 7.1-pve2
spiceterm: 3.1-1
vncterm: 1.6-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.8.3-pve1

It is random, from nowhere caps is activate and I can't deactivate.

I have a similar issue in noVNC where the shift key only works for alphabetic keyboard characters - not for numeric or other non-alphabetic characters. This prevents entry of any shifted punctuation characters including the much needed colon : for URLs on UK keyboard layouts.

I'm running pve-qemu-kvm 5.1.0-7 and qemu-server: 6.3-1

Last edited:
I had a similar issue, but it was caused by Synergy, a software KVM I am using. If I use the physical keyboard, the shift key is working fine. For the remote keyboard via Synergy, the shift key only works for letters, not for special characters.

I ran into this issue just recently, tried a lot with Shift key without much success. Affected ability to login. Had to have caps loc illuminated to type my username, which appeared in normal lower case. Then for password had to use Shift key to invert my password characters, ie holding shif to get an unshifted password letter.

Anyway, consider what brower you are using. Was using Safari (webkit) - Switched to Chrome, and so far no issues.... hopefully that was the issue.

I was unable to type the letters e, s, d, and f into the pve console of my VyOS VM using Safari. I switched to Firefox, and it works. Prior to that I tried switching the pve keyboard layout setting from US to default and after a reboot nothing changed, I was still unable to type e, s, d, f. At least now it works with Firefox. Perhaps there are issues in specific browsers with the console tools.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!