I did a mess! Please help

Vittorio

Jul 24, 2019
Hi all

I'm quite new with proxmox and while I was removing some stuff from the root terminal, I accidentally didi a rm * in the /etc folder and in the /etc/pve one removing some of the folders in it.

Aaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! :eek:
I've never done something like this never in my life!

Now I can' access anymore to the web login of Proxmox, while I'm still in the terminal window.

I've made yesterday a snapshot of my two VM.

Is it possible to save it somewhere else, reinstall all Proxmox server and recover from them?

I've last five days of snapshots from both VMs

Can someone help a poor dumb?

Thanks!

I've made yesterday a snapshot of my two VM.
Is it possible to save it somewhere else, reinstall all Proxmox server and recover from them?
Of course, just boot a Linux Live USB (I use Mageia for that, but any other will work).
Then mount the lvms, save everything.

You will then be able to recover the VMs in the newly installed Proxmox.

If this is production data, I'd say don't shutdown the current system, so that it will continue to give result, till the new servers are up and running.

I can shutdown my home server, since serves "only" my domotics system in my house, so I can shutdown.

But before this I would like to find the snapshots and save it somewhere, or be sure they exist and starting from a live linux fro USB save it on an external disk.

Where I can look at?

Thanks

It's empty, but I haven't touch this folder.
Unless this is a link to another one in the /etc/pve/*

root@proxmox:/var/lib/vz# ls -l
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 4096 Mar 25 15:15 dump
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 4096 Jan 11 2019 images
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 4096 Aug 31 13:50 private
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 4096 Aug 31 13:50 snippets
drwxr-xr-x 5 0 0 4096 Mar 25 15:12 template

root@proxmox:/var/lib/vz# ls dump
root@proxmox:/var/lib/vz#

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!