New ProxMox user with a question on storage

r53bertyboo

Jun 24, 2019
Hi everybody,

I've decided to take the plunge and give ProxMox a go as my hypervisor on my HP Proliant ML10 G9, The question I have which I can't seem to find the answer about is this:

I have 2 x 1TB HDD and 2 x 240GB SSD drives, I want to be able to use them all as either a single storage pool or split them into HDD and SSD pools. How can I do this?

I have a separate drive that is used for the install, and when it has installed I see that the installer has created two items:

local - Directory for VZDump backup file, ISO image, Container template
local-vm - LVM-Thun for Disk Image, Container

When I look at the Disks - LVM I see that 93% of the 223GB installation drive is used. But I don't see any of my other disks listed.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Hello there,

Out of curiosity, are you planning any kind of raid on those disks? And are you looking into to sticking with LVM or something else like ZFS?

Regards

Hi,

As it's only being use for a test lab I was hoping that I could pool them all together and then I wanted to migrate my old hyper-v hard disks over, so was guessing that I would need to host a directory so that I could run the conversion against the old vhdk files?

Thanks

If you are not planning for raid, than LVM Thin should be fine I guess, keep in mind that LVM Thin is different to LVM Thick, the difference is the latter, the space is already provision and reserved. If you simply want to pool all the disks into one pool with LVM Thin, partition the remaining disks as Physical Volumes and add to them to already created LVM Thin Volume Group, IIRC called pve-data. I'm assuming you installed Proxmox on one of your SSD's right?

Note, you don't need to convert them yourself beforehand and let qm importdisk do it for you.

Cheers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!