John D Humpf

Jun 16, 2019
I am new to proxmox as of a few weeks ago, and am trying to replace VMware because I'd rather avoid paying VCenter pricing to save the department money. So all advice is welcome during their trial period.

On our servers, we have dual NIC cards, after some time, I was able to get a continuous, stable connection with a couple different forms of bonding to the proxmox node itself.
At that point, I left "Active-backup" on the bond, and naturally made the bond a virtual bridge.
(This was after discovering one of the ports on the switch was causing the original issue)
I then loaded a CentOS VM from scratch, and it would not keep a stable connection, a continuous ping showed intermittent timeout and sometimes it would stay connected but continue to drop while the node was fine.

I discovered if disable the Bond and go straight to the bridge with either NIC; the continuous ping to the VM would work with no issue. The node responds the same with either issue.

Any ideas why the VM would not work going through the bond, but the node will? I would like to avoid having anything non redundant.
Thank you

Hi,

can you send the network setting without IP addresses?

I not too long ago was able to figure it out. I was having this error in logs:
"received packet on bond0 with own address as source....."
I installed ifupdown2 on the server and now there are no issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!