No ethernet - New Install

Speakerrob

May 23, 2019
Hello, recently installed Proxmox to begin learning about home server setups and virtualization, so I'm admittedly very new to linux systems and server virtualization in general. However, after installing proxmox both my onboard NIC and pci NIC are non-functioning (no lights/connection).

I believe it is a driver not being present, but since I cannot connect to the internet I'm unable to use apt-get. So, I attempted to install the driver from a .deb file I found from the manufacturer, but proxmox is missing all the packages to compile it. So I've spent the last day attempting to install those packages, but it is like the rabbit hole from Alice in Wonderland, each new dependency requires five more.I'm now pretty far beyond my comfort zone, and feel like I've hit a dead end. Any insight would be appreciated.

proxmox install 4.15.18-12-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.15.18-35
Realtek driver r8168-8.047-01 (has an autorun script to install itself, but it requires make; this began my decent into package installation hell).

I could never get the local repo option to work, unfortunately. I would mount the image and add a line in sources.list but apt-get would never recognize it.

After two weeks of dead ends, and at the suggestion of a friend, I just decided to buy an Intel NIC card and use it. However, now that it is installed, the NIC has lights, the link is showing a state of UP, I still have no connection. I've edited the /etc/network/interfaces file to reflect the Intel NIC's id, and it is indeed that link showing the UP status.

Issue resolved restarting the network service. I had done this once before without results, but this time it seemed to have fixed my issue.

I could never get the local repo option to work, unfortunately. I would mount the image and add a line in sources.list but apt-get would never recognize it.

There was a bug in the tools that generate out proxmox CDs which ended in producing a broken Packages file in the proxmox/packages directory - if that was the issue you are facing with it not getting recognized. The one under dists/stretch/pve/binary-amd64 does work though. The broken Packages file will be solved with the next release.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!