Help connecting to vm from another computer

rmflint

Apr 12, 2018
This feels like a stupid question but can someone tell how to connect to a vm?

I have been searching and cannot find an answer!

I have successfully setup my new Proxomox server and created my first vm. It is an Ubuntu vm, I can access it through the web GUI console no problem but I don’t know how to access it via another computer, for example on Windows 7. I am not sure what IP address and port number I should be using?

For example, 192.168.0.22 which is my host’s IP address or the IP address on my Ubuntu vm which is 192.168.0.7

I assume the port number is :5900 but not sure and I can’t figure out how to determine the correct port number via the Proxmox host command line interface or the IP address of the vm.

Do I need to use a vpn client like Tigervpn, ssh, or can I simply access it through my browser on the Windows computer?

Normally the VM is available for the services are installed on it. So if you installed an Apache it is accessible via Browser, if you installed an FTP Server it is accessible via FTP Tools. If you do not have any installed currently then you are looking for SSH connection, this can be done with putty or MobaXterm or other tools.

Normally the VM is available for the services are installed on it. So if you installed an Apache it is accessible via Browser, if you installed an FTP Server it is accessible via FTP Tools. If you do not have any installed currently then you are looking for SSH connection, this can be done with putty or MobaXterm or other tools.

Can you elaborate on the Apache option? I was planning on installing an Apache server for other reasons but haven’t researched how to do this on Proxmox. Do I need to have an Apache server installed as a vm and somehow use it to serve up other desktop type vms?

Can someone please explain the basic steps of how they setup a vm and access a desktop type vm like Ubuntu from a Remote Desktop?

A specific example would be greatly appreciated!

I am testing on a local network. I am trying to run the vm on either a Windows, Mac or Linux machine.

If you install Ubuntu on a real PC and you want to log in over the network you must make sure appropriate software is installed such as an SSH server to log in to a command line with PuTTY or a web server to serve web pages to a browser.

A VM is the same. For most purposes you should think of it as a separate computer from the Proxmox host it lives on. If you want it to do thing X you need to find out how you would set that up on a real PC and do that.

No he meant that if vm is a webserver than you can use browser to access what ever web content it serves.
A vm is a represententation of a pc.
You access it just like any real pc.
So if your vm up is x.x.x.7 you use that to connect to it.
That said, before you can connect you need to install and enable servises you want to use.
First thing first.
Read up on how to enable SSH on Ubuntu.
Use web console to do it.
If you client pc is linux fire up the terminal and ssh into vm like. ssh user@yourpcip

If you did everything correct you should login just fine.
Fyi, you use the user setup on vm.
So either root, requires special setup for ssh, or user you setup during install.
If you client is windows you will need app like puty or xterm.
If your vm is desktop setup. You need to configure remote access in desktop as well.
Than use rdp or similar app.

Do you mean access the vm remotely as in use it as if it were a physical device? For example with Windows VM you want to access the vm desktop like an RDP session? You can do that with most linux vms as long as you've installed it with desktop components. So when you access your ubuntu via proxmox console are you faced with a graphical login or console with only text interface?

Do you mean access the vm remotely as in use it as if it were a physical device? For example with Windows VM you want to access the vm desktop like an RDP session? You can do that with most linux vms as long as you've installed it with desktop components. So when you access your ubuntu via proxmox console are you faced with a graphical login or console with only text interface?

Graphical login just like if the Ubuntu desktop was installed on bare metal.

What I am hoping to do is access the Ubuntu desktop vm from a Windows or Mac machine instead of installing Ubuntu on a stand-alone bare metal machine. I would like to try this with other Linux distributions as well.

Once I get this setup running I would like to create a Windows vm and be able to do the same from other non-Windows desktops.

Ok that should be easy. Here are a couple of links to the resources to follow. It may be a little different depending on the Ubuntu version you've installed. You'd also be good to do some web searching on linux vncserver and xrdp (I prefer the xrdp method)

VNC based (requires a vnc client on your Windows desktop)
https://websiteforstudents.com/access-ubuntu-18-04-lts-beta-desktop-via-vnc-from-windows-machines/

https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-remote-desktop-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

RDP based (allows Windows Remote Desktop client)
https://draculaservers.com/tutorials/ubuntu-18-xrdp/

https://www.hiroom2.com/2018/04/29/ubuntu-1804-xrdp-gnome-en/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!